ACEA A5/B5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of us are OCD about this stuff. Odds are it's fine oil. The specifications are just all over the place, and that gives me pause. Sometimes, the cheapest option isn't always the best, even though I look for as good a deal as the next guy.

I know, it does have me worried.
Im still considering.
Why would they state this information if its not even possible...:(

Take a look at the PQIA naughty list, and see some of the stuff the offenders have claimed. Even some that haven't been targeted yet in that regard have made all kinds of claims, like A3/B4 and A5/B5 simultaneously, and so forth.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean you're getting a bad product in the bottle, but what are you really getting? When it comes to a modest application, and an inexpensive one, too, it's probably not a big deal. If my $100 mower blows up because I put some weird oil into it, I'm not out much. A lot of vehicles (notably Nissan and Infiniti, while we're at it) have historically had some pretty basic specifications, particularly in comparison to a diesel or some of the European manufacturers. So, in that case, it might be fine, too. But, it might not be.

The bottom line isn't solely what's on the sheet. Can you trust the oil company about what's on the sheet in the first place? Look at Castrol. I trust them, but they make some weird sheets, with lots of minimums and maximums, and wording like "pass." But, we know they make oil that meets the specifications they claim, and there are builder approvals, and so forth. So, I'd use it. Others claim mutually exclusive specifications, and that gives me the most pause.

When it comes to someone saying they meet dexos1 but didn't want to play the licensing fee, I can understand that. I can understand Red Line not being GF-5, because it's not realistic. But, if an oil company claims things that don't actually make sense, I worry and tend to go elsewhere.

I've read articles that claims that A5/B5 is newer thus in general has better/higher standards than A3/B3 and A3/B4. But A3/B3 and A3/B4 specs clearly have higher viscosity and HTHS specs than A5/B5. If higher HTHS is considered to have better wear protection, isn't that supposed to be the better ones? I'm always confused about this, what should be the correct and comprehensive understanding of this issue?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. I did try to search about this, but has little success to solve this confusion.

The answer is a3/b3 and a3/b4 are thicker and meant for a longer oci I believe. The a5/b5 are more fuel economy oriented.

Extra viscosity can provide an extra margin of safety when pushing an engine. But the a5/b5 that is thinner can also provide good protection for a daily driver that isn't beat on. Without getting into the details of how bearings are lubricated it can be confusing.

Basically the bearings float on an oil film. Unless they don't, which can happen when pushing an engine very hard. So in the high performance beating on the car scenario, higher viscosity gives a thicker film, giving more protection against all the oil being squeezed out and going into metal on metal contact.

Thinner oil also floats the bearing, but is easier to squeeze out, so the anti-wear additives are very important for those moments when there isn't enough oil film.

When the bearing is "floating". There's no contact, so no wear. So when you're just cruising down the highway the two oils are functionally providing the same protection. When you floor it to pass, the thinner oil is more likely to need the additive package to protect the wear surfaces.

Hope this makes sense, I was binge-watching Chance and I'm pretty foggy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
impossible for a 5w40 to be A5/B5 (that spec requires HTHS under 3.5)

The applicable standard is A3/B4

Originally Posted By: Nissan101

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back