Does fuel injector cleaner really do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see people all the time claiming great things with fuel treatments insert brand of choice. Do they really do anything? If so what's a brand that's not just [censored] advertising but is actually beneficial?

I'm grateful to work @ an auto parts store where i get to hear opinions on this stuff daily...

Many many guys add the run of the mill cleaner's to their gas thank when its1/4 or 1/2. They make these jokes about them being (better) when you add a lot of it.

Only the handful of people who grab the oily stuff like Lucas upper cylinder cleaner/tcw3/mmo say it works well@ the recommended doses.

This one guy has used 1/2 oz of mmo per gallon of gas in his 77 460 boat motor and his 454 work truck motor. He claims neither motor has been apart.

I have many stories of cars i've fixed with Techron. Here I import the Techron super concentrate in drums and prepare to their recommendations. My Grand Cherokee starts bogging down on acceleration by about 2500 miles. One bottle and a day or two and it flies again.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Waste of money imo. Injectors are self-cleaning. Just use top tier fuel from a high volume station and you're good to go.

Do you see the irony in this statement with regard to the difference between Top Tier fuel, run-of-the-mill fuel and fuel additives?

Waste of money imo. Injectors are self-cleaning. Just use top tier fuel from a high volume station and you're good to go.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Read this from a man who's owned his own shop since 1974 and studied quality management under W. Edwards Deming. I'll take his advice thank you.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/165

Last edited:
When i revived an old work truck that sat for 8 years with gas in the tanks. I added race gas and tcw3 to the old gas. once the truck was on the street i started adding less and less tcw3.

I really feel high octane does more then additives.

Gas motors will drink 50:1 while free reving but i don't know if id wanna make a 3 hour trip on full tank of 50:1

Try any cleaner with a healthy dose of PEA and see what you think.
They do indeed work.

Here's another for good measure:

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/152

But by all means keep buying that snake oil...

Two links to the same site, for good measure?

Yeah, OK. Quote the same source five times, and it's still just one source.

But that same site recommends top tier for the (and this is important) cleaners in the fuel.

Now, the guy that rebuilds injectors for a living says proper cleaners work, and your linked site says use gasoline with proper additives (which are, uh, cleaners) so, I'm thinking that proper cleaners work...and your site says to avoid the cheap junk cleaners at the auto parts stores.

So, use good gas. Got it. But it's to keep things clean...and I've seen the guy that rebuilds injectors for a living say that good cleaners (PEA) work.

So, thanks for the links, they support what Trav says.

Last edited:
Seafoam is the only one I've personally seen legitimate results from. However, it's also the one I've used in the most different circumstances - I've used MMO, Lucas, and Amsoil PI a handful of times, but all in my Cruze that really doesn't need it for a specific issue in the first place but rather for maintenance.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Which cleaners have PEA in sufficient quantities?

Thanks

Redline SI-1 is excellent (my go to favorite).
There is a new Gumout version that talks about the most PEA of any cleaner. Try that if you like.

Just be sure that whatever you buy, follow the directions exactly.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Which cleaners have PEA in sufficient quantities?

Thanks

Redline SI-1 is excellent (my go to favorite).
There is a new Gumout version that talks about the most PEA of any cleaner. Try that if you like.

Just be sure that whatever you buy, follow the directions exactly.

Using my borescope after using Redline SL-1, it greatly cleaned the carbon deposits on my 1998 Rav4 with 218,000. Pinging also was reduced.

Read this from a man who's owned his own shop since 1974 and studied quality management under W. Edwards Deming. I'll take his advice thank you.

What do you think Trav does for a living?

Personally, I prefer to trust a a fuel injector rebuilder that is quite content with people using a PEA cleaner where applicable, instead of having to send him the injectors after the fact, rather than drumming up business by having people buy whatever the heck they want.

PEA is used in Top Tier fuels, and remember that not everyone has access to such fuels.

I've used Regane and felt no change in performance or MPG. On a clean system, you wouldn't feel any gain. That doesn't make the stuff snake oil. It just means your fuel injectors are clean. I have used it in cars where it made a difference.

Originally Posted By: Trav

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/165

Do as you like. Pretty sure Trav runs a business dedicated to refurbishing and cleaning fuel injectors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back