'Buy American' is now a complicated slogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The link to the "complete list" (14 pages) is where it's at. Thanks for posting.
I sincerely want to email this out to all my friends and tell 'em to "have at it!".

I am not sure but I thought Camry, Sienna and Tundra, may be even Corolla from Toyota are at least assembled in the US.

I also didn't know Honda was building in Alabama, that's right around the corner. This is an interesting topic, my Japanese Honda was built in Ohio and the German Volkswagen was built in Mexico.

Yes, I think it may be a better approach to buy "built in America" than worrying too much about where the manufacturers home base is.

I'd rather buy something assembled in America by Union labor, than something built in another Country profiting some hedge fund in N.Y.C.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I am not sure but I thought Camry, Sienna and Tundra, may be even Corolla from Toyota are at least assembled in the US.

Toyota manufactures several models in the U.S.:
Camry and Avalon are built in Georgetown, KY; I've toured the plant.
Highlander, Sequoia, and Sienna are built in Princeton, IN.
Tundra and Tacoma are built in San Antonio, TX.
Corolla is built in Blue Springs, MS.

Not sure if I trust the info they give. One error I found is that the Jeep Cherokee is built in Toledo not Belvedere. Built at the Toledo North Assembly plant, same as my Liberty. Only the Compass is made at the Belvedere plant for now. I'm only familiar with Jeeps so I don't know if they got anything else wrong.

Not sure if I trust the info they give. One error I found is that the Jeep Cherokee is built in Toledo not Belvedere. Built at the Toledo North Assembly plant, same as my Liberty. Only the Compass is made at the Belvedere plant for now. I'm only familiar with Jeeps so I don't know if they got anything else wrong.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-belvidere-jeep-production-0716-biz-20160715-story.html

"FIAT Chrysler Automobiles is moving production of its Jeep Cherokee to Belvidere, Ill., next year, bringing 300 new jobs to the assembly plant, the company announced Thursday"

Not sure if/when this startd already.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-belvidere-jeep-production-0716-biz-20160715-story.html

"FIAT Chrysler Automobiles is moving production of its Jeep Cherokee to Belvidere, Ill., next year, bringing 300 new jobs to the assembly plant, the company announced Thursday"

Nice, thanks for the link. I stand corrected. I was looking at 2017s last week at the dealer and they were all still Toledo. So I wonder if they've made the switch yet?

Honda has a new plant in Indiana. I've heard some CRV production will be done there as well as other models.

The link in the first story goes to a political hit piece. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
Yes, I think it may be a better approach to buy "built in America" than worrying too much about where the manufacturers home base is.

I'd rather buy something assembled in America by Union labor, than something built in another Country profiting some hedge fund in N.Y.C.

Well, that makes it easy; select GM or Ford, some Chrysler products. All the others use non-union labour. Good news if you're a Camaro fan, the current model is the first US-made version in 30 years.

Ford Super Duty trucks F250-450 are made in Louisville. Subaru has 2 plants in Indiana - one in Indianapolis and the other in Lafayette. Lafayette made the Camry when Georgetown couldn't meet demand. F150 made in Kansas City and Detroit. Silverado's are made in Ft Wayne, IN. Corvettes in Bowling Green, KY. Assembled would be the better word. Lots of cars still assembled in Detroit area. Components are globally sourced primarily on price.

The Fusion is made in Hermosillo, Mexico which Ford/Mazda established there 31 years ago.

The Fusion has one American made component which is the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back