Which viscosity is best here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeking the good people on here to recommend me a viscosity. I have an Altima that has an "issue" where on cold start I see the oil pressure light come on and stay on for about two to three seconds. While this is happening I think I can hear the engine make more noise than it's supposed to.

I'm trying to see if I can make some changes to at least put it in a better position than it is now. It currently has a fill of Pennzoil HM 5W-30.

Should I go 0W-30, stay at 5W-30 or move up to 10W-30? The engine has compression a little on the lower side (but within serviceable limits according to Nissan) that increases dramatically if I drop a little oil in each cylinder (about 40PSI). Maybe a viscosity recommendation that also helps with rings that aren't sealing or worn? Is it mutually exclusive with lowering that oil light duration and any wear at start up?

Not sure what I should choose. Wouldn't I want something thin to get oil to parts as fast as possible? But then again wouldn't something thicker stay on parts longer, protect longer and build up more pressure?

I may also change the filter. The oil filter mounts sideways on this engine, not sure if it's draining out from the ADBV? I used the blue can, made in Thailand Denso 150-1009 this time around, the last time I changed that same filter on this car it came off without spilling anything which I thought was kind of strange but thought nothing of it. Maybe I should look into another brand?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I may also change the filter. The oil filter mounts sideways on this engine, not sure if it's draining out from the ADBV? I used the blue can, made in Thailand Denso 150-1009 this time around, the last time I changed that same filter on this car it came off without spilling anything which I thought was kind of strange but thought nothing of it. Maybe I should look into another brand?

I'd try a different oil filter first. Sounds like the ADBV isn't working well. Try an oil filter with a silicone ADBV. I use to run Fram Ultra on my 2004 Altima V6 with 5W-30 and it didn't make any noise on start-up, but it did have low mileage (60K miles).

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Seeking the good people on here to recommend me a viscosity. I have an Altima that has an "issue" where on cold start I see the oil pressure light come on and stay on for about two to three seconds. While this is happening I think I can hear the engine make more noise than it's supposed to.

I'm trying to see if I can make some changes to at least put it in a better position than it is now. It currently has a fill of Pennzoil HM 5W-30.

Should I go 0W-30, stay at 5W-30 or move up to 10W-30? The engine has compression a little on the lower side (but within serviceable limits according to Nissan) that increases dramatically if I drop a little oil in each cylinder (about 40PSI). Maybe a viscosity recommendation that also helps with rings that aren't sealing or worn? Is it mutually exclusive with lowering that oil light duration and any wear at start up?

Not sure what I should choose. Wouldn't I want something thin to get oil to parts as fast as possible? But then again wouldn't something thicker stay on parts longer, protect longer and build up more pressure?

They have seal swelers to soften seals but so does mobil1 HM , may cause leaking and may not. I noticed when I was using mobil 1 HM on two different vehicles, the filter seals would swell up and when removing the filter, seal had swelled and would pop off the filter when removing.

IMO, avoid seal swell agents, cause its 50/50 whether they start a leak elsewhere.

so the seal swell agents do as advertised, I had rubber valve cover gaskets also begin to leak immediately with Mobil1 on both vehicles.

IMO just use standard oils, and as long as no issue, stick to them, getting bright ideas is not always best.

I live in the south, I just use a standard Valvoline 10w30 year round, really there's no reason to mess with anything else for 200,000 mile motors. Heck most don't even keep a vehicle that long.

Last edited:
And if the compression is on the lower side, the cat may be slowly falling apart and pieces of it getting sucked into the engine via reversion, scratching the bores up.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
And if the compression is on the lower side, the cat may be slowly falling apart and pieces of it getting sucked into the engine via reversion, scratching the bores up.

Ooer. Don't like the sound of that much, though havn't heard of it before.

I suppose it's valve timing overlap allowing suck-back from the exhaust on the induction stroke?

I don't have a cat, but I do put cement and aluminium in my exhaust sometimes. Better stop doing that.

I don't think you have a problem related to the grade of oil used.
I would try a different oil filter more out of hope than conviction. This could actually be the problem and would certainly be an easy solution.
Your compression testing results indicate worn rings and maybe bores.
I've heard that it's possible to have enough main bearing wear that the oil pump may not be able to keep up with side leakage at low engine speeds in which case a thicker grade might help.
You may have a partially occluded oil pump pickup or you may simply have an excessively worn oil pump.
Lots of possibilities and I don't see any of the oil grades you've mentioned being of any help.
How many miles has this engine seen?

I'd try thick oil, perhaps a 15W/40. Its the standard response to engine wear, might help, and is unlikely to harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back