I need the best penetrating oil

i have a can of kano sili-kroil that i really like. kroil and silicone in an aerosol. the tag line on the can says it gets into "infinitely small spaces". its almost true.

Have heard several experienced mechanics over the years exhort the wonders of the OB Blaster previously mentioned.

That wax trick sounds plausible.

Heat is a well-known portion of the get-the-frikken-nut/bolt-loose equation.

Okay, it might not be the best pentrating oil, but it works well and has good lubricity and works well on fighting corrosion, try JB-80. (Justice Brothers). I have used this from anything from cars to guns to bicycles. I think it's the best jack of all trades sprays.

I some times use a product from kimball midwest called, Torq"CB" Corrosion Blasting Penetrating Oil. Some other good ones that I tried are: PB Blaster, Jb 80,

Just tried wax. Worked great! Had a Troybilt rototiller with both wheels rust welded on due to being out in the rain. These are the type that have a removable pin and two positions for the wheel.
It gets my vote.

Originally Posted By: chas3
i have a can of kano sili-kroil that i really like. kroil and silicone in an aerosol. the tag line on the can says it gets into "infinitely small spaces". its almost true.
I've used WD-40, Liquid Wrench, and PB Blaster. SiliKroil excelled where the others failed. It costs more, but it does perform.

I have used both Mouse Milk and Kroil both at work and at home.

IMHO, Mouse Milk is better for dissimilar type metal corrosion than Kroil. In cars with steel on steel corrosion, Kroil is better.

Hootbro

HUSKEY RUST RELEASE - An extra-heavy-duty penetrating fluid formulated with a unique synthetic wax to penetrate into rusted, corroded or frozen parts to ease break-out. It displaces moisture, leaving a long-lasting wax-like lubricant and protective film. Also available in bulk form.
http://www.huskey.com/ProdInfo/Rust Release.pdf

i have use pb, kroil and just found sea foam deep creep and used it to remove carbon from pistions i took out of a 90,000 mile engine and it did a great job. so give it a try on rusted bolts

Schaeffer Penetro 90 is hands down the best I have used. Kroil and PB work but penetro is amazing. I have been a Plant Engineer for 36 years and I have tried most.

Originally Posted By: jtl
Schaeffer Penetro 90 is hands down the best I have used. Kroil and PB work but penetro is amazing. I have been a Plant Engineer for 36 years and I have tried most.

Agreed. Didn't find kroil to be that much better than liquid wrench to justify the expense and hassle to get it. Penetro is something else though. Whatever is in that can is magic.

And to the OP, you can buy penetro on amazon for about $11 a can shipped.

Last edited:
If it can be, it's best to use a rust removal method. There are the soaking solutions and electrolysis. Another thing that helps is vibration. Strap an old electric toothbrush to the part or something like that and use a penetrant. I've used those methods with good success.

Back