Oil for general lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a good oil to use in an oiling can to lub lawnmowers, doors, campers and other moving/articulating joints?

I am sure there is a recommended oil . I'll use a spray can oil or what ever is left over from my oil changes, engine oil ,gear oil trans oil etc.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am sure there is a recommended oil. I'll use a spray can oil or whatever is left over from my oil changes, engine oil, gear oil trans oil etc.

I agree and do the same. I bought 2 quarts of some no-name 10-30 oil at a yard sale for a buck and have been sharing it with an old push mower for the last year. I've even added some ATF and Lucas stabilizer to my brew just to get rid of it. The can lays it on heavy so what I want to lube will get some.

CRC 2-26 seriously good stuff, plastic safe

Lubricated an exterior sliding door better than other instore silicone spray products which suprised me.

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
3 in 1 oil
Engine oil, gear oil, trans oil, 3 in one !!!

Zoom oilers work very well and are pretty inexpensive and easy to use. I bought half a dozen to take advantage of $5 flat shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARKAL-79704G-Zoom-Spout-Oiler-4-Oz/221422651356?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Originally Posted By: loneryder
What would be a good oil to use in an oiling can to lub lawnmowers, doors, campers and other moving/articulating joints?

Lots of good suggestions, and I'll add a few lubes I've used.

Triflow
M1 ATF
M1 20w50
M1 5w20
Kano Microil
Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil
Boeshield T9
Fluid Film, both aerosol and bulk
Silicone Spray
Liquid Wrench Chain and Cable Lube
MMO
And, of course, WD-40

Can't say any stuck out as a BAD choice, though each has a niche. Gradual experimentation and attention to detail with yield the proper oil for the proper job eventually. I will say that my go-to general purpose oil has become M1 ATF. Just seems to work well for "stuff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back