M1 0-40, 3.395K, 2006 WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: chado_skins
oh you're right, i messed up. the dates should be flip flopped.

the back label does have an FS on it.

OK, so this is the "new" formula, that's important because it is thinner than the previous version, starting out at 12.9cSt.

The GTX 5w-30 starts out at 11cSt and ended up at 9.42, a loss of 1.58cSt or 17%. Castrol does not list a flashpoint for this product.
The M1 FS 0w-40 starts out at 12.9cSt and ended up at 10.93, a loss of 1.97cSt or 18%.The flashpoint dropped from 439F to 395F, indicating the presence of fuel.

Given the broader spread and only minuscule increase in viscosity loss, which could easily be chalked up to fuel, I would not conclude that this oil exhibits any more evidence of mechanical shear than the previous fill. Definitely not any that would cause me to re-evaluate my lubricant selection.

interesting. turbo engines do run quite a bit more fuel when at full tilt also. under full 20#'s of boost my target and final air to fuel ratio's are in the low 11:1, sometimes dipping into the high 10.9's:1. and i don't baby this car. i'll run it out to somewhere between 4-5K and retest. see how the viscosity holds up. THanks for the information!

You are quite welcome
cheers3.gif

I'd run the current fill to 5,000 miles and as long as everything looks fine, I'd stick with a 5k interval on this oil (and probably skip doing uoa's every change). If you want to compare shear stability between oils on a uoa, you could try M1 10W40 High Mileage. Any track time? What tune?

I also love those RS swaps. My daughter had a 2000 RS sedan that I considered doing a swap on, but I decided against it because of cost since it wouldn't have been a DIY project. We bought it with 60k on it and she put 105k on it. Ended up selling it to a local kid that was heading to college. Probably one of the last stock RS's left in the country.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back