Installed MGW shifter on the Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally had enough of the terrible stock shifter on my 2014 Mustang. Now there are literally tons of choices for shifters for Mustangs. I decided to go with the one from MGW since it completely replaces the factory shift linkage plus it is completely mounted to the transmission, there is no connection to the body of the car like the factory one.

This is the shifter on their page: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79 Included is a really good video of the installation.

This is the MGW next to the factory shifter once I got it all out of the car.

This was my view for most of Monday afternoon, had the day off of work.

Note I have front and rear BMW driveshaft loops. I had to buy a new front loop since the one that has been on the car since almost new interferes with the MGW shifter. MGW worked with BMR and designed a driveshaft loop that works with their shifter. Outstanding customer service from both companies in case anyone is interested.

Here is the only part I get to see anymore. I went with a black ball with the shift pattern top and no logos. I actually messed up a bit on the ball install, there is a jam nut to hold it in place and I put the jam nut in upside down. It was the last part of the install and I felt like I had just been run over by an Australian road train. Went and watched the video the next day and corrected my error.

The difference between the factory and MGW is night and day. Shifts are much more precise. Going from 2nd to 3rd was always kind of a hope and pray deal with the factory setup. With the MGW it practically guides the shifter into 3rd much like the factory setup did on my Volvo S60R.

We sell these at my work for new Mustangs. I had purchased mine back in September of last year, but couldn't find the right combination of time off and weather to get it done. The techs at my work weren't really impressed at me doing it on my own until I said I did it on jackstands and using a floor jack to lift and lower the transmission.

On an unrelated note, MGW's Armory division makes very high quality handgun sight tools. All the products are made in the USA in Augusta, GA. I have had to call them for work and they are great people to work with. Note I am not paid for them in anyway, just sharing a great American company that makes awesome products.

Nice install ... I agree the one on my 2013 GT is not so good I will prob change mine down the road.

Nice install! Boy, that's got a lot more complicated than it was putting one in a fox, LOL!
wink.gif
My last install was a Steeda.

Looks good! The MGW shifter was one of the first things I installed on my 08 Bullitt. The shifts are so much firmer. I didn't really reduce the throw much. Its a quality piece for sure.

Buddy of mine put one of this in his twin 6266 '14 Coyote. He is a fan.

Looks nice!

A better shifter is the best thing for the money in terms of making a Mustang GT more fun to drive. I have a Steeda on my 2010 GT but I know the MGW is excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back