Costco's Subaru pressure washer, yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule of thumb, never buy one with a vertical shaft engine. Second rule of thumb, always buy a Honda/clone engine. Why? Because any part you could ever need is literally a few dollars on eBay. Carburetor? $10 New coil? $10. Third rule of thumb, never, ever buy a Suburu small engine. Why? They are well built, sure. Carburetor? $150 New coil? $150. They are incredibly expensive to keep running if you ever need to buy parts. So expensive in fact, that it usually is cheaper to REPLACE the engine than to repair it. I ran a small engine shop. Almost every time someone brought a Suburu in, they were NOT going to like the news.

Vertical pumps are rated at 50 hours. ALL of them. Even the cheap horizontal pumps are rated for 300 hours.

So my general advice at the entry level is to always buy a Honda GX200 or clone, with a horizontal pump.

I've used/abused one of these for years and I highly recommend them. Use the 20% off coupons to make the price better.

Has a Honda clone engine.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3100-psi-28-gpm-65-hp-212cc-pressure-washer-epa-iii-62200.html

The good thing about the above combo, is that if the engine ever dies, a brand new engine is only $100. You can fix your pressure washer yourself, for only $100. If the pump ever dies, the cheaper pumps are $100. Again, you can repair it yourself, for only $100. If the carburetor corrodes away, and needs replaced, its only $10. See my theme here?

+1 what bubbatime posted. The HF unit he references is a known quantity around here and I've heard no complaints. Besides, shopping at HF if a lot of fun trying to figure out what is a good deal and what to avoid. If you can walk around the isles in a HF store and not find something of interest you'd better check your pulse. You might be dead.

Most homeowners pressure washers sit...plain and simple for long periods of time...and clog up, or just quit for some reason or another....bottom line IMHO, I rent one and return it and its their baby if it breaks...and it does not sit in my garage for years on end taking up space,,,IMHO

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Vertical pumps are rated at 50 hours. ALL of them. Even the cheap horizontal pumps are rated for 300 hours.

What makes the cheap axial pump turned on it's side last 6x as long?

Best advice is to always use pump saver in it when you are done and keep fresh/treated gas in it. When the pump goes replace it vs throw it away. I've got a Craftsman that the pump went in a year or so ago (not sure why but I think the unloader valve stuck and it blew the case when I released the trigger). $100 for a new AR pump on Amazon and it's been back in business for 2 years now.

I bought the Subaru unit from costco. I think it was on sale for $270 when I got it. No complaints so far, if I had to guess maybe 10ish hours on it. I've actually used it quite a bit in the 2 months I've had it. But its just home use so cleaning siding, patios, walkways. The great thing is cleaning cars too. I got a foam cannon add on and its pretty cool. The push start works great. No idea how long it will but if its taken care of in the ways ITGUY08 suggested it should be awhile.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Not true my "horizontal pump" isnt a triplex pump..

also 50hours? can you show some kind of data for that?
Even the cheapo wobble plate type should greatly exceed 50hrs.

http://pressurewashr.com/pressure-washer-pumps/

I do agree that the pressure washer you recommended is a great buy.

My axial cam troy bilt pressure washer has lasted 13 years now. I did change the lifetime pump oil once or twice and engine oil every 2-3 years.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Most homeowners pressure washers sit...plain and simple for long periods of time...and clog up, or just quit for some reason or another....bottom line IMHO, I rent one and return it and its their baby if it breaks...and it does not sit in my garage for years on end taking up space,,,IMHO

Good advise. I have a Craftsman unit I've used not even a dozen times that has a broken pump. Rent one from Lowes or the Home Depot when needed.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Good advise. I have a Craftsman unit I've used not even a dozen times that has a broken pump. Rent one from Lowes or the Home Depot when needed.
buy a decent unit you won't have that problem

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I bought the Subaru unit from costco. I think it was on sale for $270 when I got it. No complaints so far, if I had to guess maybe 10ish hours on it. I've actually used it quite a bit in the 2 months I've had it. But its just home use so cleaning siding, patios, walkways. The great thing is cleaning cars too. I got a foam cannon add on and its pretty cool. The push start works great. No idea how long it will but if its taken care of in the ways ITGUY08 suggested it should be awhile.

HemiHawk, thanks for your valuable feedback.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

What makes the cheap axial pump turned on it's side last 6x as long?

I'm curious about that as well.

All I can think of is because they're generally built for cheapo, price-point units. Nothing to do specifically with vert vs. horizontal orientation.

No idea why a person would want to rent one when you can buy them for under $300. I have a cheapo I got for $179 at a Menards Black Friday sale that's run fantastic for 4 or 5 years now. Vertical shaft Kohler courage XT-6 engine. One of the best pieces of OPE I've purchased; incredibly handy to have around.

The pump screams cheap and I figured it'd have given up long ago, but still works like the day I bought it. I use it at least a couple times a month.

If you have the money, the horizontal shaft / Honda clone combo I agree would be easier to repair and more reliable for the long haul.

Certainly nothing wrong with the subaru as long as you're not using it to make a living. Sam's has it for about $250.

I spoke with a local repair shop because I am getting one. He said never put it away without installing a pump saver fluid. It is also in the instructions, and I looked for a place to buy it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Briggs-Stratton-4-fl-oz-Pump-Saver/3241112 , there are ones in a bottle too.

They rent equipment and they have a bulk quantity and run it thru it on return. Even a few days can cause damage if the water is hard. Don't matter what the brand of the pump.

Also, the Honda engine pumps are 75$ on ebay...and the engine parts are dirt cheap too.

Want to rent a 2000 - 2700 PSI Pressure Washer unit at HD?

Rental Pricing for:

$55.00
4-Hour
(Minimum)
$316.00
Per Week
$79.00
Per Day
$948.00
4 Weeks
This tool requires a $100.00 deposit.
Last updated Jun. 30, 2017. 6:02 PM EST.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Rental Pricing for:
$55.00
4-Hour
(Minimum)
$316.00
Per Week
$79.00
Per Day
$948.00
4 Weeks (+ sales tax)

Home Despot jacked their rental prices way up. Thus renting makes sense more for expensive equipment, one time only use, or tradesman who simply pass the cost onto the customer.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

Rental Pricing for:

$55.00
4-Hour
(Minimum)
$316.00
Per Week
$79.00
Per Day
$948.00
4 Weeks

This tool requires a $100.00 deposit.
Last updated Jun. 30, 2017. 6:02 PM EST.

Alright, who is the absolute WINDOW licker who would rent a 2700 PSI pressure washer for a month at a cost of $948, when they could buy a very nice Honda with a cat commercial pump for less money?

I've had the Subaru pressure washer from Costco for 2 years now. Mine is the model that has a black on/switch that you click up then slide to power the unit on, where the newer style has a silver push button on front. I believe they also revamped the choke controls on the new one and it looks nicer than my pull out chock lever.

I agree with what people say, HOWEVER... as you know Costco is awesome. This is the reason why I bought a pressure reason from Costco because when or if it breaks, I will take it back. I bought their electric version years ago, used it once to wash the cars. It sat in the garage for a year, then used it again only the 2nd time it was gushing water everywhere... (what should I expect for $120 plastic power washer..). Took it back and bought the gas one that I mentioned above.

I have zero issues with the Subaru pressure washer. I like it. Does everything I need it to do, goes nicely with my white STi sitting in the garage as well, lol.

-Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back