Why Honda...Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the 2017 Honda CRV and I instantly hate it. It no longer has the actual parking brake and the frontal ground clearance is now under 9 inches instead of 30 inches thanks to the amazing approach angle. The interior has too many gadgets and too digital. I want the basic setup (steel wheel would be nice plus), good brakes and an actual e-brake level or a pedal, a few places to plug my phones or tablets, and a nice digital readout preferably with some overhang cover to reduce glare and sun washout.

I am highly disappointed with Honda. First they got rid of the Element and now they are girlying up the CRV and Pilot. I may have to go look at Subaru and Toyota
crazy.gif
mad.gif

What do you mean "no longer has the actual parking brake"? I thought cars are required to have a mechanical parking brake for safety as a backup for the road brakes in the event of a brake failure. My '08 CR-V even called for applying the parking brake at all times after putting the transmission in park.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I am highly disappointed with Honda. First they got rid of the Element and now they are girlying up the CRV and Pilot. I may have to go look at Subaru and Toyota
crazy.gif
mad.gif

Come join the darkside. We sold our souls long ago and live in beige anonymity...

I disagree. It looks like a much better car than the old model, in my eyes. Might even pick one up for the wife. She hated the old model. Likes the new model.

Because that's what most people seem to want. And Honda's right, given the 2017 is handily outselling the old version. Compact SUVs are really taking the place of mid-size cars, so the trend to more car-like attributes isn't surprising. Toyota and Subaru won't be immune to this trend.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the approach angle or the lack of a physical handbrake or a few too many doodads, but I would get hung up on the propensity on the 1.5T to dilute engine oil with gasoline in a big way. The Base LX avoids the 1.5T and a bunch of the gimmicks; have you considered it?

When one reads and/or watches reviews of the new CR-V they will find that the OP is in the extreme minority. Some regard the new CR-V as one of the best vehicles Honda has made in decades.

I just saw the 2017 Honda CRV and I instantly hate it. It no longer has the actual parking brake and the frontal ground clearance is now under 9 inches instead of 30 inches thanks to the amazing approach angle.

30 inches?? I don't recall 37" super swampers being a factory tire option on the CR-V...

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I just saw the 2017 Honda CRV and I instantly hate it. It no longer has the actual parking brake and the frontal ground clearance is now under 9 inches instead of 30 inches thanks to the amazing approach angle.

30 inches?? I don't recall 37" super swampers being a factory tire option on the CR-V...

I doubt a CR-V could even turn 37s.

CR-V is a soccer mom SUV, don't expect to get good off-road performance. Also, this is the first time Honda Pilot gets torque vectoring all wheel drive, same as SH-AWD from Acura. Latest Civic, CR-V, and Pilot shows that Honda has been stepping up their game and their products are WAY more competitive, compared to 10-15 years ago. Sales numbers show they are doing things right.

If you want 30 inches ground clearance then you need to buy a Wrangler. It comes with manual e-brake knob, too! Everything belongs to the 20th century in that car. I feel like Wrangler is a great option for your needs.

Originally Posted By: supton
crazy.gif
mad.gif

Come join the darkside. We sold our souls long ago and live in beige anonymity...
Hey, speak for yourself, we live in Black Cherry anonymity (at least the wife does)!
crazy.gif

SHe loves her toaster, though! BTW, OP, does the new CR-V still have those broomstick sized rear axle shafts? Can't believe anyone would ever take one off road.

Last edited:
Impossible to build a vehicle that meets everyone's needs. I prefer the new model. The interior and exterior styling appeal to me more than did the previous model.

I want to see a CR-V with 30" of ground clearance. "Ground clearance" means from the ground to the lowest hanging part of the vehicle.

To get 30" of ground clearance, you would need to be running some 72"+ tall tractor tire. Even that might not be enough, as the axles required to drive those tires are large and will hang down a bit, reducing ground clearance..

Saw one up close in the parking lot yesterday. Too many ungainly creases and curves. Waaay too overstyled. If you could replace the body with the new Equinox's or CX-5's, it'd be perfect. Unfortunately those two powertrain's don't quite match the Honda's.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Who needs ground clearance? CR-V's don't go off road.
lol.gif

Hey now, my 2005 has been quite off the road. It does great.

It does need struts at all four corners at this point, however.

I love the 2005-2006's and look at them for sale all the time. I would know what quality I'm getting if I bought one of these again.

If you look at the 2000's Pilot and CR-V they do have pretty good approach departure angles, and if the gas tank wasn't under my CRV it would have lots of ground clearance underneath. We do unmaintained or logging roads with it and it does fine with some slightly oversize mild AT tires. The biggest issue is that you have to spin the fronts to get the rears going which is sketchy in rocks.
But yes, not many CRV buyers get them on gravel roads, let alone off-road. It's really a Civic wagon with the handling wrecked and costs more, just like the rest of them now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back