Taking care of yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been sore [constantly] for 2+ years now. At my age, recovering after workouts is not like how it was in my 20-s.

the temptation to stop is strong but the dangers of being out of shape are very real.

I prefer cycling, but it's easy to spend a small fortune if one wanted to, not just on the bike but on ancillary items. Still my preferred activity, walking is too low impact. And I'm not into sports (no athletic ability whatsoever).

There's value in doing more than one activity. Works different muscle groups.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
https://www.livestrong.com/article/179434-signs-symptoms-of-body-aches-fatigue/

Hey , many of us haven't walked in years, just guessing, but hey,we are spending a small fortune on our cars and trucks and very little on ourself..If its been 5 or 15 years since you walked a mile, try it out, your heart and muscles will appreciate,,,,,put down that I-Pad..............

Not my business to tell others what to do I careless someone wants to eat Big Mac's and fries or someone hits the gym 6 days a week.

Come spend a typical day with me,
where I load 4,000 lbs of lumber, steel, or concrete (sacks or blocks) on a trailer regularly,
then unload them again in a different location a couple hours later.

I run 3 to 5 miles daily. 2 half marathons a year, RAGNAR and bunch of 5Ks also.
I had to make it a priority as the meds I am on put weight on me.

Originally Posted By: supton
I prefer cycling, but it's easy to spend a small fortune if one wanted to, not just on the bike but on ancillary items. Still my preferred activity, walking is too low impact. And I'm not into sports (no athletic ability whatsoever).

There's value in doing more than one activity. Works different muscle groups.
Bikes and the stuff that goes with them is $$$ but it is part of the fun.

I will be 80 come Feb 2018 and go to a one hour AQUA aerobics/fitness class three times a week. I have been doing this for 25+ years and so far, I take one Anti-depressant (when I quit smoking 6 years ago) and one BP med. I wish I could loose the weight I packed one wrong when I quite drinking booze 15 years ago and smoking 6 years ago. I still do my own oil changes and yard mowing-Yaaaaa Ed

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Doing yard work, running a weed wacker, going for walks, that's my version of loving my self.

I have a notion to turn on my MapMyRide App in the run/walk mode to track how far I push my non-propelled mower some day.

I already wear my heart rate tracker and burn close to 1000 kcal each time I cut the lawn....

I love how people, like my neighbor, go to the gym but pay a lawn service to mow her grass.
She said it's not the same as working out, I said I know it's called Productivity.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I love how people, like my neighbor, go to the gym but pay a lawn service to mow her grass.
She said it's not the same as working out, I said I know it's called Productivity.

She's probably one of those typical chicks who just want to be perceived as "hip" because she dresses up in ridiculous clothes and chills at a gym she has to pay for,just so people will see her and go "Whoa,she belongs to a gym! She's soooooo cool!!". Mowing the yard is probably beneath her and is a job for the "help".

The best ones are the people who say yea shoveled the driveway and walks really got a workout I laugh and say yea I bet you really killed it.

I remember one guy who was huffing and puffing after climbing up 3 flights of steps. He later commented how tough running must be because everyone's face he sees is scrunched up in agony or they don't look like they're having fun. So I try to relax more when I'm on a regular run.

Originally Posted By: dave123
The best ones are the people who say yea shoveled the driveway and walks really got a workout I laugh and say yea I bet you really killed it.

Sometimes it is killing it. I shovel both my own driveway and my neighbor's by hand. 160 ft total length. With a foot of wet snow, it's a workout. The biggest storm of 2016 took me 4-5 hours to get it all done. And my aching back needed a couple days off. If you shovel fast and hard for 30-60 min...it's not much different than a weight workout...which I've been doing for 50 yrs. If I had to choose between my 1 hour bike workouts, weight work outs, and shoveling heavy snow....the shoveling is by far the most strenuous and taxing. For the snow days in winter where I can't bike...the shoveling is a good replacement.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

She's probably one of those typical chicks who just want to be perceived as "hip" because she dresses up in ridiculous clothes and chills at a gym she has to pay for,just so people will see her and go "Whoa,she belongs to a gym! She's soooooo cool!!". Mowing the yard is probably beneath her and is a job for the "help".

Hate to say it, but I agree with "those ppl" you refer to.

I do my own oil changes, tire rotations etc. but despite being in my 30's, I've never had to (nor would I want to) mow a lawn. I guess growing up in a household where I was the youngest and my older brothers did that job, made it easier on me.

Mind you, by the time I got to their age I was far more successful academically, so I was immune to the chores they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back