Tips for new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Dell laptop and it is requesting me to allow downloading of software I have "purchased" with the computer .

Is it wise to allow this ? It has a free Mcafee subscription for a year and I am hesitant to enter any personal info to register with them .

I wouldn't allow it. I also "try" to get rid of Mcafee. That stuff is like stepping in dog poop.

McAffe is definitely something you want to get rid of ASAP.

Microsoft Security Essentials (or whatever it is called now) does a pretty good job.

Dell and other manufacturers love to pre-install bloat/trailware on their computers. Most you don't need but some could be useful. Open up programs and see what's there. Uninstall the ones you're sure you won't need and research the ones you're unsure off.

With a new computer you can download a free 30 day subscription of the Revo Uninstaller program. You can use Revo to completely remove bloatware and anything else you don't want. After the 30 days you can remove Revo and use the free version of Iobit to fully remove unwanted programs and apps. CCleaner will remove programs too but you have to watch out for its activity in the registry.

I personally would not allow the Dell download permission. It is probably a bloated tracking gimmick. And there are lots of other free or paid Antivirus to pick from that are much better than Mcafee. You can use the built in Windows Defender until you find the one you want to use permanently. Defender is a lot better now than it used to be. Your bank or ISP may also provide a free premium AV. I get Norton 360 for free from Comcast and it works great.

Even better I would download the OEM image of the OS and reload it with no addons.

Then use the dell website to load up all the drivers.

Should take about 30-40 minutes on a modern computer and you can really start fresh.

I really don't think many home users need an AV client anymore, the built in windows defender plus automatic patches is not bad.

For the most part, Windows 7 and 10 pick up almost everything. Some drivers you may be able to get better performance with from the manufacturer directly, but it's so much easier now.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I really don't think many home users need an AV client anymore, the built in windows defender plus automatic patches is not bad.

Please tell me you're kidding! I'm a very strong advocate for Unified Threat Management (UTM) systems..........even for home users. If you think you're safe......you aren't.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

Please tell me you're kidding! I'm a very strong advocate for Unified Threat Management (UTM) systems..........even for home users. If you think you're safe......you aren't.

Not kidding at all, most infections are related to user behavior.

If you are behind a NAT firewall, and you browse reasonably with a patched windows 10 system you are fine.

I can't remember the last time I had a virus on ANY of my pc's.

Also logging in with a non admin account is critical as well.

Ok, if you have a home network with kids and their hormones firing off in all directions then fine. Even still, I wouldn't have my own computer on their network. Otherwise W10 Defender or other free protection is fine. I haven't been hit with a virus/malware in ages. Mostly because I don't visit dodgy sites or open unsolicited emails. Even if I did, no biggie, I've got a clone backup to pop in to keep on keepin' on. Best part, it's free.

I am on a one week old dell notebook right now. Uninstalled Mcafee a few days ago. It was a free trial version, I knew I would never pay for it so just letting windows defender do the job. It just did a bios update an hour ago. When i first got it running it did a few hours worth of Win 10 updates. Don't know what that was all about but so far so good. I have 30 day return window from Fred Meyer so I'm not worried too much yet. Nice deal too, Intel processor, 15 inch disp, 500gb hd with dvd, etc for $239. So far Dell is not nagging me much. I did register it and after that they left me alone. I let windows add/remove get rid of McAfee, no problem.

If you are behind a NAT firewall, and you browse reasonably with a patched windows 10 system you are fine.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Ok, if you have a home network with kids and their hormones firing off in all directions then fine. Even still, I wouldn't have my own computer on their network. Otherwise W10 Defender or other free protection is fine. I haven't been hit with a virus/malware in ages. Mostly because I don't visit dodgy sites or open unsolicited emails. Even if I did, no biggie, I've got a clone backup to pop in to keep on keepin' on. Best part, it's free.

OK, I get that. Kids in the house definitely elevates the risk. You're also free to feel like you're safe because of NAT'ing and being selective with your web browsing. I politely disagree and wish you the best of luck (having a clone backup is a great idea). Most people who are infected don't know it. What good is a virus/worm/botnet/trojan, if the target knows they're infected or compromised? You could log into your bank securely, but what if they're infected? Point is, I take this stuff seriously, maybe even with a little paranoia. Having TS/SCI and working in the Cyber threat realm everyday will do that to you, I suppose. I personally like having multiple layers of security even for my home network. Better safe than sorry. Wish you all the best.

Originally Posted By: sleepery
I have a new Dell laptop and it is requesting me to allow downloading of software I have "purchased" with the computer .

Is it wise to allow this ? It has a free Mcafee subscription for a year and I am hesitant to enter any personal info to register with them .

NO!
Say no to everything, do not allow "free" software, "free" trails of anything to run on your computer.
All this "free" stuff is nothing more then revenue for the computer maker.
The "cleanest" operating system you have is best.
If you have any free trails of virus protection, delete/remove them too.
Free software is useless, except to gum up your new computer with stuff that will use resources.

BTW = in regards to another post in here, if other people(kids) use your computer, download another browser that only you will use, one good one is Opera, you can leave the icon off your desktop so others wont use it.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

OK, I get that. Kids in the house definitely elevates the risk. You're also free to feel like you're safe because of NAT'ing and being selective with your web browsing. I politely disagree and wish you the best of luck (having a clone backup is a great idea). Most people who are infected don't know it. What good is a virus/worm/botnet/trojan, if the target knows they're infected or compromised? You could log into your bank securely, but what if they're infected? Point is, I take this stuff seriously, maybe even with a little paranoia. Having TS/SCI and working in the Cyber threat realm everyday will do that to you, I suppose. I personally like having multiple layers of security even for my home network. Better safe than sorry. Wish you all the best.

I think one of the best things a person can do is setup two factor authentication on important services such as banking or email.

With that, and the latest OS with patches, I think you are WAY ahead of most of the population for security.

I also purchased a DELL 2 in 1 and downloaded the "software ware" I PURCHASED which was MS office. I also used the McAfee antivirus and found it to be quite good according to articles written at that time. I also downloaded Revo uninstaller like jimmy9190 above did. Not all manufactures are evil and conspire to do bad things to us. Ed Hayes

There is no harm in seeing what the manufacturer loaded on the new computer. Everything that's not tried-out or wanted afterwards, can be uninstalled immediately.

Not a big deal......

Personally, I would wipe the entire computer and install a clean version of win7, but one can download a clean version of win10 if they want the latest OS. After backing up the drivers, of course.
Enjoy a much faster computer experience without the unnecessary junk, which IMO I never use and it only either slows the computer down by running in the background or sending information to the manufacturer, or simply clogs up the registry. Basic windows tools were always more than enough for me, when compared to what these OEM install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back