Echo chain saws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now looking I'm torn between the Echo CS 490 and the CS 590 TW. I'm going for an 18" bar more than likely. So, is one a home owner grade and one a Prosumer grade? I'm looking for a saw that will last me 15+ years. We had a John Deere saw years ago that would just go through the clutches every 6 months cutting Cedar. I hated it. Do they differ in terms of quality? Does the the 490 use a cheaper made clutch or motor? Echo claims both are made for pros. I talked to Echo and the lady claimed both saws offer a 1200-1500 service life on the motor and drive. True?

15+ years of what everyday in and out of the woods or the weekend warrior twice a month for 6 months of the year big difference and no I do not believe it's not a pro saw at all its a true homeowner saw period.

Last edited:
I may use it 4-6 hours a month. It would be a firewood getter and to clean up downed trees after storms. So the 490 and the 590 are both consumer saws?Any recommendations? Will they both last under my usage?
What would be the best option?

Echo chainsaws seem to be top notch. They both get good reviews but to be honest I never owned one or even ran one. I definitely think the "New" Stihl chainsaws are overrated along with the "New" Huskies. Poulans aren't Huskies, Huskies are now Poulans.
That being said check out the Chinese Chainsaws on eBay. You can buy a Big chainsaw cheap and I swear they are rebadged Stihls. I bought two different ones and I am impressed. They start easy, powerful and seem well built. I only had them for about 6 months but they are holding up Great and get Great reviews on YouTube.
A 50 cc 20" bar for around a $100 that looks like a Echo, might even be a Echo. Who knows. Check them out.

The only thing I don't like about the echo's is the chain seems to get loose quickly, but looking at the stihls, they have the same design of chain tensioner, so I don't know. Must be a normal thing to have to tighten chain every 30 minutes of use or so.

Madman,
Between the 490 and 590, which would you go with? I'm thinking having the dealer swap an 18" bar on a 590 and taking it home. It seems the motor would be plenty for the bar and reducing the stress on the motor and clutch should make it last longer. It is not the lightest saw I picked up though, I think I would get use to it.

I would get a CS400 with the 18" bar. I think it's a 40cc engine and is a great all around saw imo. I don't use mine for big stuff though, just cutting 2-3" branches, crepe myrtle trees. etc. I always borrowed my brothers CS352 but decided to buy my own since my brother doesn't understand the concept of keeping the chain out of the dirt.

There isn't a HUGE difference between a 45cc and a 55cc saw. Don't spend too much just because you want to save 2 seconds on an 18" log. I think you need to try a few first.

Heavier saws get REALLY heavy after an hour of use - REMEMBER THAT!

I'm use to a 40cc 18" Craftsman and an old JD saw. The Craftsman seems too underpowered for much over 3" cuts. Tex, for me, it's not about saving 2 seconds per cut. It's about having enough power to cut the wood and durability. The Craftsman 40cc would stall the chain frequently, even when new. It has almost no torque. Does a 40cc Echo have that much more power than a 10yr old Craftsman? 40cc just seems small for an 18" bar.

I have a CS400 and it has been a very good saw. Usually cut/split 4-5 cords of hardwood every winter. It replaced an older, smaller John Deere. No complaints at all.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The only thing I don't like about the echo's is the chain seems to get loose quickly, but looking at the stihls, they have the same design of chain tensioner, so I don't know. Must be a normal thing to have to tighten chain every 30 minutes of use or so.

Probably a function of the chain, not the saw. first thing i do is toss the chain that comes on it. I like to run husky, stihl , or carlton chains, The homeowner low kick back chains always seem soft and constantly stretch.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
How's the power of the CS 400 saws?

I have the cs450 , it runs really good. I think the echo saws are top notch consumer saws. They are not made for commercial every day use, but are tough and reliable for homeowner use.

Spend some time studying the threads at arboristsite.com:

https://www.google.com/search?q=arboristsite+echo+490&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=arboristsite+echo+cs+490+site:www.arboristsite.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=arboristsite+echo+590&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=arboristsite+echo+cs+590+site:www.arboristsite.com

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Echo chainsaws seem to be top notch. They both get good reviews but to be honest I never owned one or even ran one. I definitely think the "New" Stihl chainsaws are overrated along with the "New" Huskies. Poulans aren't Huskies, Huskies are now Poulans.

The 200 series Huskys are just Poulans. The 435 and 440 are modern stratos engine designs and really rip at high RPM for a low cost 41cc consumer saw. The design, light weight, and power to weight ratio has nothing do with the puttering old Poulans.

I definitely think the "New" Stihl chainsaws are overrated along with the "New" Huskies.

The new Stihls are definitely over rated. A lot of the engine components are cheaply made. It is even worse on the back pack blowers and trimmers.

My personal saw is a 1995 Makita 5200i 52cc made by Dolmar. Runs fantastic. If I was to go out and buy a new saw, I'd probably get a Jonsered if I had to pick one.

Stihl seems to be riding out their reputation. I was a fan of their stuff for awhile, but not so much lately.

Originally Posted By: Syntheticuser
I'm use to a 40cc 18" Craftsman and an old JD saw. The Craftsman seems too underpowered for much over 3" cuts. The Craftsman 40cc would stall the chain frequently, even when new. It has almost no torque.

That Craftsman is a P.O.S. Poulan.
Don't expect much performance wise.

I do NOT like saws that use "3/8 LP" chain.

A good .325" or honest .375" pitch chain is what REAL chainsaws use.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

The 200 series Huskys are just Poulans. The 435 and 440 are modern stratos engine designs and really rip at high RPM for a low cost 41cc consumer saw. The design, light weight, and power to weight ratio has nothing do with the puttering old Poulans.

Avoid the 38cc and 40cc Jonsereds or Huskies. They are POULANS.

The 45cc and up are the real Husqv/Jons

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

This probably has more to do with the chain and oiler than the adjuster. Stihl chain is pre-stretched and doesn't stretch as much in use compared to Oregon and most others. The oilers on most saws are also not setup to put out as much oil as the older saws due to environmental concerns, on a pro saw you can adjust the oiler to put out more on a homeowner saw they are fixed.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I definitely think the "New" Stihl chainsaws are overrated along with the "New" Huskies.

The new Stihls are definitely over rated. A lot of the engine components are cheaply made. It is even worse on the back pack blowers and trimmers.

My personal saw is a 1995 Makita 5200i 52cc made by Dolmar. Runs fantastic. If I was to go out and buy a new saw, I'd probably get a Jonsered if I had to pick one.

Stihl seems to be riding out their reputation. I was a fan of their stuff for awhile, but not so much lately.

Their pro grade saws are still top notch, they've had to make a lot of changes to keep up with EPA mandates which has made the saws a lot more complicated but the build quality is still there. Their homeowner saws are definitely built to a price point and it shows in their quality.

Makita and Dolmar are top notch and under rated in the states, you just don't see them too often especially their bigger saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back