Anyone here use oil filter crusher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, work decided to give into OFR(oil filter recyclers) and purchase a $275 oil filter crusher. To be installed tomorrow. I have used one as a friend of mine has one in his shop.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Does this mean no more filter cuts from your work?

Ones from work: I can snag any filter I wanna cut; new boss doesn't mind me doing that and educating folks
smile.gif

Boils down to "big brother" saying old oil filters take up too much "landfill space" which is B.S.

Surprised that a scrapyard wouldn't take them after being drained for a week or so, maybe they think used motor oil is too toxic? Would lubricate the crusher wheels nicely...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Surprised that a scrapyard wouldn't take them after being drained for a week or so, maybe they think used motor oil is too toxic? Would lubricate the crusher wheels nicely...

A guy 2miles up road from me gets some filters from our dumpster as he says yard he takes them to sells them to "mini mill" and media goes to cement kilns, etc

I've been with my company 11 1/2 years; we had a crusher when I started. OFR said they are making too many pickups and stops at places which is B.S. If my older
Gentleman friend can drive 30~ miles for truckload of used filters why not OFR?

We used to use one long time ago.. some filters would hold air pressure and explode noisy as all [censored]. Now we get storage drums from a local recycling outfit.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Does this mean no more filter cuts from your work?

Ones from work: I can snag any filter I wanna cut; new boss doesn't mind me doing that and educating folks
smile.gif

Boils down to "big brother" saying old oil filters take up too much "landfill space" which is B.S.

I'm glad you can still do C&P's. I do appreciate them.

Last edited:
A former co-worker made one that used a 20-ton air press that worked okay. He experimented with it a few times before he got one that he was satisfied with. Like already posted, some of the filters would literally explode, so he made some "spikes" that punctured the top of the filter as the press collapsed the filter. The openings in the filter would then let the air out. He had to crush a lot of off-road filters that had a very strong center tube. Those were the filters that gave his crusher the hardest time. The crusher actually got most all of the used oil out of the average filter (a Fram 8A-sized filter, for example) and crushed a filter that size down to about an inch or less.
The guy actually stopped using it not because it didn't work, but because his boss told him that he was wasting too much time by crushing the filters.

We had one at the lube center I worked at during undergrad. It broke and the owners wouldn't fix it. We just let the filters drain the best we could for the day and carried them to the dumpster in a 5 gallon bucket at night. We had an exxon valdez style oil slick down the concrete pad and into the grass from all the oil leaking out of the dumpster over the years. No EPA violations there at all.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
.....We just let the filters drain the best we could for the day and carried them to the dumpster in a 5 gallon bucket at night. We had an exxon valdez style oil slick down the concrete pad and into the grass from all the oil leaking out of the dumpster over the years. No EPA violations there at all.

crackmeup2.gif
Nope not at all. Present day, good to go.
27.gif

When I worked as an auto tech, one of the dealers I worked at had an oil filter crusher. I seem to remember it usually could crush 2-3 at a time, depending on filter.

It worked well and was satisfying to use. After we crushed them they went into a special dumpster.

We had to use a filter crusher to save space, otherwise the oil filters would have quickly become unmanageable. It was a very high volume dealer, I would say there were easily 50 oil filters a day that got changed, some days it could have darn near 100 when they ran a night shift.

Oddly enough the quick lube I worked at did not use a filter crusher.

Last edited:
Got one at work. I think the whole issue with them is to help get the leftover oil out of the filter because landfills were getting in trouble for it by the good ol' EPA. Prior to the crusher, we used to have to punch holes in the dome end to damage the pressure relief valve to drain the oil before sending them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back