Ok to mix Redline and Royal Purple grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought an old Pop-up trailer this past spring. I flushed out the bearings via zerk and grease gun with Redline grease before our first trip. We've done a few trips and before our last trip I popped off the rubber dust boot plugs and noticed a thin red translucent liquid sitting at the bottom of the boots/bearings. I'm assuming that the Redline has separated.

I used up that tube of Redline and would like to try a tube of Royal Purple to compare but also because it's cheaper at the moment.

Are these two greases mixable in wheel bearings? Thanks!

I'm assuming that the RP grease is the 01312. What type of Redline did you use?

Most manufacturers recommend getting the old grease out of there prior to adding their own product, but in my experience (and in my opinion) two like-types of greases can generally be mixed. If the Redline is lithium like the Royal Purple I would say go for it.

its probably separated I use the redline CV2 #2 grease on all greasable components on my truck, I notice that it seperates in hotter weather this is a normal occurance with synthetic greases, I don't think I reduces the lubrication properties of the grease I use it anyways.

Last edited:
Red Line CV-2 is a calcium complex/sulfonate thickened grease, I think Royal Purple is aluminum soap thickened. Ca-based grease can mix with small amounts of Li-based grease. I'd clean out the wheel ends before switching over grease types unless it's an absolute emergency.

The chart linked says it would be OK, but we don't know what type of calcium soap Red Line uses.

Last edited:
Dont mix grease brands! It may cause some weird chemical reaction. I found out the hard way when I mixed Royal Purple Purple ICE coolant additive with Mercedes coolant. It turned it into a thick greasy jello blob and blew up my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back