Well.... we lost 89 octane locally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to recessed insulator spark plugs to help quell ping.

Extended tip plugs run inconsistent AFAIK.

I mix 2.5gal of 93octane into 7gal of 87 to keep the Rogue making power.

Pain at the pumps, but works good.

Last edited:
You can mix premium with regular and get an octane that is proportionally in between. Also if you make 50/50 E15 / E0 you will end up with 7.5% ethanol.

One part of the E0 91 with 2 parts of E15 88 ends up being more than 89 octane and only 10% alcohol.

Last edited:
Its happening at a few stations around here too. But here our 91 octane is at least as expensive as yours and has 10% ethanol. Is it just at this station or everywhere? If these are your only choices, I'd do the blend of the 87 and 91, used to do it with a pinging Subaru. DON'T use the E-15, I suspect it might have been the cause of the cat failure on my wife's 2015 Fit.

Most stations mix 87 and 92 to get 89, they only have two tanks. You can do the same or just use 87.

This is what a guy filling the station's tank from a tanker told me when I asked him.

Last edited:
Looks like Kwik Trip. For a time, local stations were pricing the E15 (called unleaded 88) the same prices as competitions reg 87, and pricing their 87 at midgrade 89 prices. Now both are same, must have got some pushback, not to mention confusion for the average motorist.

Let me guess - Kwik Trip?

They changed most of the stations around here to unleaded 88 E15 many months ago. For a while, the E15 was sold at the same price as regular E10 87 at their competitors and their regular e10 87 was 5+ cents more. Seems like they are now posted at the same price most days...

Sumpchump, I'm curious about your "oil burning detonating Toyota"; my 94 Corolla suffers the same issues. I run an oil catch can and have done numerous PCV induction cleanings and piston soaks to try and get the piston tops clean, but I still get pretty heavy ping in the summer with the A/C on. Our mid grade is 87 octane (high altitude), and I have just bitten the bullet and run 91 premium in the hot summer months. It makes the car run night and day better.

Ethanol gas is garbage, it goes stale since ethanol attracts water and it becomes a watery [censored] instead of Gas.
Some years ago me and a friend fired up an old Fiat Panda that had been untouched since 1990, the gas was perfeclty good because it was old school ethanol free leaded ( we had leaded until it was banned in 2002 )

I posted about this a couple months ago, like you I was curious. I don't mind that they're offering E15 but I think that the pricing strategy they used up until a couple weeks ago was sorta shady. I wonder why they started pricing them the same- not moving? I always look when I'm at Kwik Trip (sometimes 1-2 times a day) and I've NEVER seen anyone using it, even when it was "cheaper". Just the regular E10. I think that most people are programmed to use 87, and those if us that know what it means will probably avoid more ethanol than us absolutely necessary. That leaves them with a pretty small margin of people to use it. I am glad that they stopped pricing it like that, though. They are always the first to raise prices and the last to lower.

Originally Posted By: mk378
You can mix premium with regular and get an octane that is proportionally in between.
but that requires swiping your card 2x @ $.75 each time or making 3 trips into the store,waiting in line while some smelling homeless guy scratches his lotto tickets just to get gas.

All of the gas stations by me have 91 ethanol free. I'm okay with that and if I had to run 89 in something, I'd just bump up to that.

My outdoor power equipment gets it

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: lexus114
why is the 88 octane 3 cents cheaper than the 87? wth?

It has 5% more ethanol. E15 vs E10

thanks

You lost 93 Premium too, that stuff is available everywhere down here.

On the other hand, I have no gas available to me that is labeled Ethanol Free.

Because of the water absorption, I only buy gas for the mower about a gallon at a time. It can sit all summer and works fine, but never over the winter, or the mower barely runs. I try to time it so I run out in October-ish. The St. Augustine goes dormant from November to February. By March 1 it's usually time to start mowing again, with a fresh batch of RUG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back