2015 Chevy Traverse: severe sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
That is a lot of condensation. Makes me wonder what else could aggravate that?

Dunno

Yuk!
57.gif
15.gif

Still, thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
That is a lot of condensation. Makes me wonder what else could aggravate that?

Dunno

PCV, thermostat?

PCV, thermostat?

So, do I hear this right? Hertz ignored OBDII dashboard lights (saying the engine is not warming up soon enough), and/or maybe they forgot to change the oil for like 40,000 miles or whatever?
Generally, whether privately owned or a rental, that Check Engine light will be looked into and it taken in to get fixed. That OBDII code would need to be lit up for many thousands of miles to get THAT much sludging.

I would fill and drain the cengine with kerosene. Then fill it with cheap oil and a cheap filter, run it a 50 miles and change it again. I'd also get a check on a leaky head gasket. Either a pressure leak down test or UV dye.

Whoa! Can you see the sludge through the fill cap?

My car was a previous rental but the Carfax shows it was serviced. Also I can see it's spotless under the fill cap.

The OCIs might had been performed as stated, but not long ago the car might had been flooded. I would check differentials and transmission as a precaution. If you see similar gunk, - definitely a flood vehicle.

We change the oil in the rentals all the time at enterprise so i cant see hertz not doing that as well. It seems like there is more to the story. I like the water idea.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
This appears to be a water in oil emulsion. It very well could be a flood victim.

Thought came to mind as well...

The water weakens the media. The increased viscosity of the emulsion puts additional stress on the media until the media tears or ruptures. I would look under the dash for a high water mark for additional confirmation the vehicle was flooded.

Well, I drove it to work and back today. Clean under fill hole. I did say we took the heads off and cleaned them also. Flushed the coolant as well

It is running well and passed emissions as well
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back