Switching from M1 to Castrol Edge-Both Euro 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've put ~61K miles on my Turbo Kia using M1 0W-40 (Euro) oil with a ~4K OCI over ~5 years.
I'm now switching to Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Euro) and was wondering how the engine will initially wear different due to any differences in chemistry/add packs/etc.

Should I not "get into it" for a 1K miles or so while it is getting "adjusted" to the new brand of oil or am I just being overly OCD about the whole thing??

If any of that were a worry my BMW would have been dead years ago.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I've put ~61K miles on my Turbo Kia using M1 0W-40 (Euro) oil with a ~4K OCI over ~5 years.
I'm now switching to Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Euro) and was wondering how the engine will initially wear different due to any differences in chemistry/add packs/etc.

Should I not "get into it" for a 1K miles or so while it is getting "adjusted" to the new brand of oil or am I just being overly OCD about the whole thing??

I'd be more nervous about the words turbo and Kia than changing oil brands.

Which is to say all of this is for naught.

Please don't take this the wrong way ( it's just the curious cat living deep inside of me ) , but did you have any issues with the M1 that caused you to switch to the Castrol?

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u

Please don't take this the wrong way ( it's just the curious cat living deep inside of me ) , but did you have any issues with the M1 that caused you to switch to the Castrol?

Great question!
No issues at all. But with the new "FS" formulation, I wanted to take another look at my other good alternatives.
It's all about specsmanship between the two. The Castrol "Edges" out the M1 for NOACK and Vis cSt values and is still BMW LL-01 rated. I'm really interested in how it handles the nasty fuel dilution issues that my GDI engine produces among other things.

Great question! No issues at all. But with the new "FS" formulation, I wanted to take another look at my other good alternatives.
It's all about specsmanship between the two. The Castrol "Edges" out the M1 for NOACK and Vis cSt values and is still BMW LL-01 rated. I'm really interested in how it handles the nasty fuel dilution issues that my GDI engine produces among other things.
It does make many concerned when Mobil1 0w40 dropped the LL-01 approval without explanation! Castrol Edge 0w40 is quality, good choice (A40,LL-01,229.5,Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval). Its about $25 per 5 quart jug, great deal.

With any fuel dilution in a GDI turbo, Edge will is smart to use, since its visc may drop about what Kia recommends.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
It does make many concerned when Mobil1 0w40 dropped the LL-01 approval without explanation! Castrol Edge 0w40 is quality, good choice (A40,LL-01,229.5,Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval). Its about $25 per 5 quart jug, great deal.

I doubt it made "many" concerned, just BMW owners. And those people just moved four feet down the Walmart isle to the Castrol as you note. It still meets all the other approvals as it always did.

OCD- ha!

grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Castrol "Edges" out the M1 for NOACK

What are the Noack figures for these two oils?

Castrol Edge 0W-40 is 8.9%
M1 0w-40 "FS" is 10%

Thanks. Did the Russians test the new FS oil? Is that where this 10% figure came from?

One would doubt it accurately reflects the current FS offering.

M1 0w-40 "FS" is 10%

If you're after a very low Noack, then Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has both of them beat. But I'm not sure that having Noack much below 10% translates to some tangible performance benefits.

M1 0w-40 "FS" is 10%

If you're after a very low Noack, then Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has both of them beat. But I'm not sure that having Noack much below 10% translates to some tangible performance benefits.

What is the NOACK valve for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back