AutoZone is having a Sale. So prices went up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
(This isn't a link to a sale or promotion, so I didn't put it in that forum intentionally).

I saw an ad that AutoZone was having a sale, so I checked it out. I found the prices on the items I had just checked the other day were raised to offset the discount. Really?

This past weekend I spent some time shopping for a new muffler for a car. I happened to check AutoZone, where the prices were $140 for a Bosal and $170 for a Walker. I made a mental note as the Bosal was close to the best price anywhere and I was going to order one at the end of this week.

Today I got a notice they had 20% off a $100+ purchase, plus a $10 card on top. I thought "great!" Then I looked and saw the Bosal was now $170 and the Walker $203. It still works out to be a few dollars cheaper overall perhaps, but it certainly isn't what it appears.

If you want to have a sale, have a sale. If you want the public's business, don't treat them like chumps and lie to them about the everyday price. I was going to buy the Bosal there, but now I'll order it from RockAuto. I'll never shop there again...

Everyone on BITOG knows they are only good for the discounted oil.
smile.gif

All retailers do it.. was it on sale previously?

I will give a retail example.

Strawberries at the grocery store were 2 for $5 last week. this week they are BOGO(buy one get one free)

They are now $4.98 so 1 cent cheaper than the last sale

They were previously advertised as being "price slashed" now its front page.

Almost all retailers do some form of this. Dont get bent out of shape. play the game.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
It's the only place in town with Mobil 1 filters!!

At nearly 2X the price of equivalent Fram UG filters at Walmart.

They all do it, especially grocery stores.

That's why when meat is buy 1 get 2 free the "before" price is like $15 a steak. Yeah, right.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They all do it, especially grocery stores.

That's why when meat is buy 1 get 2 free the "before" price is like $15 a steak. Yeah, right.

+1

Yep!

50% to 75% off from our regular prices, hurry down!

The reason they can offer those deals is because few, if any buyers are stupid enough to pay those regular prices.

Often times when returning from the grocery store, my wife with receipt in hand will state to me "look how much we just saved" as it will state the amount of the discount on the receipt. I make sure to let her know that we never would have brought those items at the regular price so we didn't really save anything.

Retailing 101

Thank goodness for Rock Auto to give these retailers a reality check. Just wish shipping with RA was a little cheaper and faster because they could easily become the Amazon of auto parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back