Valvoline ML 5W-30, 5,500, 2006 Infinit M35X, 157K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is my 2nd analysis on my '06 Infiniti M35X...Much better results for both iron and viscosity (although I would still like to see it a little lower on the iron), despite using the exact same oil for both samples.

Couple of comments I can't believe I forgot to mention when I posted the first analysis...

1. During the run for the first sample, I had my radiator fail with the expected increase in engine temperature...I caught it before the temperature spiked but it certainly ran significantly higher than normal for ~30-60 seconds...I suspect that could have resulted in some significant viscosity breakdown.

2. Also during the run for the first sample, I was less "diligent" about keeping up with makeup oil...I was more of a hawk during the run for the second sample...As I doubt the car got that much "thirstier" in the last 5,500 miles, I am pretty sure I was running way low on oil. This may also tie into their comment on the high volume of makeup oil "diluting" the metals PPM readings.

Still not thrilled with the oil consumption, so my latest fill was Castrol 10W-40 High Mileage...We will see if the heavier weight has any impact.

As always, all comments and observations are welcome!

Keep us posted on the consumption... I just bought an M45 and it guzzled 3/4 qt. in 750 miles, but that was with unknown oil and likely quite old (oil filter that I removed had a hand-written date of 10-26-15).

Thanks, BrewCityR...Will do.

I have put about 1,000 miles on since this last oil change with the 10W-40, and it definitely looks like it is burning less oil. I should have been down about 0.5 qt, but looks like it is still holding, so far.

I will keep checking and let you know if that continues.

I have the VQ 3.5 in my 08 Altima has well. I just put Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic in my car. My car doesn't use hardly any oil at all between changes. This report does look ok but given two and a half qts of make up oil it is hard to tell if the viscosity is bumped up do to that. But I am glad that you had this done to have an idea of how well this oil could potentially do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back