2015 Chevy Traverse: severe sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG faithful
smile.gif

So, good friend of mine bought this 2015 Chevy Traverse with 60,xxx miles on it. Unknown OCI history. This Prime Guard filter according to the windshield sticker was installed last October when the vehicle had 48,000 miles on it. Obvious to see why it tore and the endcap fell off. I am driving vehicle every so often and I snagged a 12pack of Parts Plus PH 500 filters for it. I'm using M1 5w30 and we are doing 2-3k oci's. I changed this filter out 2 months ago and decided to post. Vehicle now has 71,500 miles on it.

I don't think I have ever witnessed this much sludge either in a vehicle. Vehicle runs well also as we changed spark plugs and cleaned both cylinder heads up good. No coolant in the oil either
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
Ouch!! id do a couple of 300-400 mile OC's!

We did a few 400-500 miles changes with some Magnatec 5w30 synthetic he supplied. Seemed to soften and liquify the sludge after half hour
Of driving.

Keeping our fingers crossed
smile.gif

Sludge on an engine that gets the snott driven out of it? No short tripping for sure there. Its a 2015, and already up to 70k miles. WoW.
Is this for real????

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Sludge on an engine that gets the snott driven out of it? No short tripping for sure there. Its a 2015, and already up to 70k miles. WoW.
Is this for real????

Yes sir, he tells me it was a Hertz rental vehicle also so....
21.gif
37.gif

The picture of the filter shows that there is water mixed in the oil, that's why the oil has a chocolate milk appearance. What you are seeing is not sludge but contaminated oil. Start looking for the reason the oil is contaminated such as gasket leaks or a crack somewhere.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
The picture of the filter shows that there is water mixed in the oil, that's why the oil has a chocolate milk appearance. What you are seeing is not sludge but contaminated oil. Start looking for the reason the oil is contaminated such as gasket leaks or a crack somewhere.

+1. It's not "sludged," it's contaminated.

Originally Posted By: car51
21.gif
37.gif

I'm surprised he didn't buy one from Enterprise since that's where you work.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: car51
21.gif
37.gif

I'm surprised he didn't buy one from Enterprise since that's where you work.

Our stuff we sell, I wouldn't even buy as they are not deals at all IMO

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Hertz is usually very good at changing oil. Can't imagine that was the problem.

I have seen a few vehicles come back from being "overdue" for a oil change and they are NOT pretty.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry

Actually, the stuff with the oil is water and or condensation as vehicle had check engine light with "cold startup codes" etc. vehicle doesn't use coolant or have leaks by the way. Brother had a Enclave that ran great and never had issues. Oh well, what happens when using cheap oil beyond 5k and cheap filters
wink.gif

I guess local Hertz managers could drop the ball and "forget" to change oil, but really, that amount of sludge is just weird.

Someone above said "contaminated". Thats also what I'm thinking: Someone didn't like Hertz, and poured water into the oil hole.

Well, when you have "cold start codes/DTC's" we have cold weather so that's part of it. Plus, if it was driven thru winter that didn't help matters

Is the car experiencing coolant lose?

I would think if it's this bad, it would have to be noticeable.

There
Is/was no coolant loss

I'll standby my diagnosis of winter driving with moisture/condensation happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back