Coolant update: 1996 Ford Bronco 302

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking of running a more modern coolant in my 1996 Ford Bronco with a 302 (cast iron heads and block, aluminum intake manifold, water pump, and timing chain cover). Not that there is anything wrong with the green stuff, but it’s getting harder to find and I would really like a longer service interval.

I have been kicking around the idea of running a HOAT. I currently use Cummins/Fleetguard ES complete in my 1999 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke, and have been thinking of using it in my Bronco.
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/hybrid
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT15070.pdf

The long life and compatibility with many other coolants (in case something happens in far from home/truck stop) are really appealing to me.

I would love to hear others thoughts, concerns, experiences, etc.

thanks!

G-05 has worked really well for me in place of green in the GMC 6.2, my old '82 300D, and I may eventually switch my XJ over to it too. Is the Fleetguard a Dexclone like other CAT EC-1 coolants, or is it something different?

G-05 has worked out very well for me in two Chrysler 440s and a Jeep 4.0 so far. I went down that road in the first place because the Jeep 4.0 was switched to G-05 during its production run, and the metallurgy is essentially identical to the 440s (iron block/heads, aluminum accessories). The only unknown was the bronze radiator and heater core in the vintage cars (the Jeep has aluminum), but a little research confirmed that both the bronze and the solder are protected by G-05. The solder is one thing that OAT coolants often don't take care of sufficiently, because most modern cooling systems simply don't have any.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
G-05 has worked really well for me in place of green in the GMC 6.2, my old '82 300D, and I may eventually switch my XJ over to it too. Is the Fleetguard a Dexclone like other CAT EC-1 coolants, or is it something different?

I thought Dexcool was a OAT... Maybe I was mistaken, when you start talking hybrids I am sure the line between the two can get muddy.

The Fleeguard hybrid ES complete is a HOAT.
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT36262.pdf

Dexcool is an OAT. It works fine as long as you keep the level full and change it every 4-5 yrs. It doesn't like to mix with some other coolants though. That's the primary reason I just stuck with it in my 1999 (now on the 2nd coolant change). No problems.

Is there any reason to go with zerex over any conventional green antifreeze? I wasn't sure so I used oreilley classic green. If zerex is better for any reason I'll use that next time.

I run the Fleetguard Compleat ES in my '96 F250 7.3L. I,would think it would simplify things if you also used it in your Bronco. The only caveat I have is the price. I've been buying it at the local Cummins shop and it's expensive even after negotiating a discounted price.

Rotella ELC. Available at Walmart and Advance. Silicate free, uses a molybdate inhibitor package that protects brass/bronze/copper/solder at a very high oxidation state, and last as long as any extended life coolant.

You can also buy it online-for-pickup using the typical Advance Auto discount codes to pick it up super cheap. I use it in everything. My cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, scooters, generators. Out of all of the machines I have, I only need one coolant aside from my warrantied vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back