Transmission pan gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to find a trany pan gasket for a ford 5r55s trany it's in a 2010 ford explorer. I know the gasket is suppose to be reusable bur I'd like to have a new one just incase. I have the trany filter but trying to find a OEM gasket is impossible or would I be better off getting it directly from our local ford dealer?

TIA

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My two cents, ditch the gasket, use a silicone style gasket maker in a tube.

what type of silicone gasket maker you recommend I know there's a bunch of different kinds.

I know they're reusable but I like to have an extra just incase the old one gets damaged better safe then sorry. this will be the first time I've had the pan off since I got it about 10mos ago it's got about 109,000 miles on it.

thanks,

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
1L2Z-7A191-BA is the part number for the 5R55 transmission gasket. $20.35 is list.

thanks for the part number just talked with our ford dealer parts guy here they don't stock it but it runs about 19.45 not as bad as I though it would be

When we did a pan/filter drop on my friend's son's Explorer (2005) we installed a new gasket. I remember the old one being intact but hardened beyond our comfort level.
I'm with you, have a gasket handy if you're not comfortable using tubed products.

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
Just did my 2005 Crown Vic. Reused the original gasket no problems.

Took mine off my 2002 last year (71K miles) for the 1st time and couldn't believe how rugged these things are. It's tougher than tree bark and still plenty flexible. One little bump and just came off in one piece. These will last the life of the vehicle. They come easy and go back on easy. I had the same concerns as you...what kind of gasket to use when this thing falls apart. Far better than anything the after-market will give you. If needed I might run a bead of silicon along the gasket...but it doesn't need it. Not a drop from mine before or after re-installation. OEM have rugged pre-formed ribs in them. The after market ones will either by cheap cork or flat rubber. No thanks.

Reuse it. I have a 20 year old Taurus with a reusable gasket and it doesn't leak. All of the fords that I have had with reusable transmission pan gaskets have been reused and none have leaked. Only replace if it is damaged.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
Reuse it. I have a 20 year old Taurus with a reusable gasket and it doesn't leak. All of the fords that I have had with reusable transmission pan gaskets have been reused and none have leaked. Only replace if it is damaged.

good to know but when it's the only vehicle you have and need to drive it everyday, in the event there is a problem with the gasket, if I have an extra one I can get it done right away with no downtime
grin.gif

Reuse the old one, they are good for a few uses. Do not toss it for garbage (in comparison to a metal reinforced rubber gasket) RTV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
My two cents, ditch the gasket, use a silicone style gasket maker in a tube. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Originally Posted By: mickalo
I know they're reusable but I like to have an extra just incase

But... they're reusable. You take the pan off, you put it back together, everything is fine. They're... reusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back