Briggs intek filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil and filter on my neighbour's lawn tractor with a 24hp briggs intek. Tractor has about 400 hours on it and I have no idea if it's ever been changed.

Refilled with some leftover Delvac 15W40 and a Denso filter for a Tacoma 4.0 (can't remember the p/n). Engine now seems a little quieter with the 15w40 in it.

The filter held up well, ADBV was still pliable, but for nearly $20 CDN for a new filter...no way.

I lol'd at the warning label on the filter about how air cooled engines have hotter oil and to only use a Briggs filter, since other filters won't stand up to the heat.

I am amazed how small these are. We get so used to filters for automotive use and forget that power equipment does not need near as large of filter area.

Looks like it did it's job though.

How much bigger was the filter you put on?

On a lot of these 17.5 or larger tractor engines, a Fram 3614 (or equivalent) will work
2 and a half inches vs 1 and a half long...

A Fram 3600 (or equivalent) also works, if it fits...
Nearly 5 inches long...

Much cheaper too, I can get an AutoZone STP blue for $2.99...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures!! When I picked up my used Craftsman T3200 with a Briggs Platinum 22hp. It was running that same yellow can filter. I laughed a little more than LOL and maybe had some choice words for Briggs for wanting so much money for such a small filter and warning us that these engines run hot. I just swapped out my oil and put on a Fram Toughguard 3614. Even that was pricey at 12 bucks with tax. It fits good within the engine compartment. I am thinking I may one day pull the side panels off and run a stupid long filter in there.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

The denso filter was about 1" longer than the briggs filter. Can't remember the p/n but it crossed to MC FL910S

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Thanks for the pictures!! When I picked up my used Craftsman T3200 with a Briggs Platinum 22hp. It was running that same yellow can filter. I laughed a little more than LOL and maybe had some choice words for Briggs for wanting so much money for such a small filter and warning us that these engines run hot. I just swapped out my oil and put on a Fram Toughguard 3614. Even that was pricey at 12 bucks with tax. It fits good within the engine compartment. I am thinking I may one day pull the side panels off and run a stupid long filter in there.

Just use a 3" hole saw and make it a permanent modification.
grin2.gif

My B&S filter for my 20 HP Intek twin is the same size as my CX5 2.5L Mazda filter. I paid ~ $8 for the B&S filter. The one shown is a special Long Life filter.Ed

I just swapped out my oil and put on a Fram Toughguard 3614. Even that was pricey at 12 bucks with tax. It fits good within the engine compartment.

That filter will last years and years and years.... and never get close to capacity.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I just swapped out my oil and put on a Fram Toughguard 3614. Even that was pricey at 12 bucks with tax. It fits good within the engine compartment.

That filter will last years and years and years.... and never get close to capacity.

Yeah, until the cardboard end caps break down and fill his engine with fiber sludge....

crackmeup2.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!!!

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I am amazed how small these are. We get so used to filters for automotive use and forget that power equipment does not need near as large of filter area.

Looks like it did it's job though.

Good morning sir
smile.gif

What happened to
The gasket? Just
Curious

Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Changed the oil and filter on my neighbour's lawn tractor with a 24hp briggs intek. Tractor has about 400 hours on it and I have no idea if it's ever been changed.

Refilled with some leftover Delvac 15W40 and a Denso filter for a Tacoma 4.0 (can't remember the p/n). Engine now seems a little quieter with the 15w40 in it.

The filter held up well, ADBV was still pliable, but for nearly $20 CDN for a new filter...no way.

I lol'd at the warning label on the filter about how air cooled engines have hotter oil and to only use a Briggs filter, since other filters won't stand up to the heat.

Wondering what happened to the gasket. Meant to ask you, not blupupher

I always use the 3614 size as they are a lot easier to grab a hold of when removing.

I can't imagine any bigger filter being necessary.

Quote:

Sounds like marketing hype-they want you to buy their overpriced filter.

Most all cars these days run ~200° coolant temp. Plenty hot.
And air cooled motorcycles have been using cross referenced Fram for years
with no problems.

Originally Posted By: car51
Wondering what happened to the gasket. Meant to ask you, not blupupher

It's the new Blowalator gasket design.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back