Aisin DW-1 ATF specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, Honda DW-1 is made by Idemitsu. I was on Rock Auto pricing parts out and stumbled on Aisin DW-1. Does anyone know how this compares? I priced 10 quarts @$52.xx delivered, which beats most other competitors.

It seems Maxlife is not available for pickup at any local Walmarts but Transmax can be found. The Rockauto price is the lowest and I might be able to drive it lower by buying a few other parts like motor mounts and lowering average shipping cost per part.

For some reason, I can't post links from my phone well.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2008,civic,1.8l+l4,1441749,transmission-automatic,transmission+fluid,11387

I'd never heard of Aisin making DW-1 either. I did a quick search and found an MSDS for the Aisin DW-1, the flash point at 214C is quite a bit higher than Honda/Idemitsu at 170C.

Does it mean anything? I dunno. eBay has 12 qt cases of Honda DW-1 for $89 shipped. I would probably be more willing to try it on an older Honda, not a brand new vehicle. I like that it very specifically calls out that it's formulated for DW-1, not just a broad ATF that covers multiple makes.

If you do try it, let us know!

http://aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/e4g2...pplications.pdf
http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/HONDA_DW-1_ATF_08200-9008_OES_(USA)_and_CA66844_OES_(Canada).pdf

I thought Aisin was a transmission and perhaps other parts maker, not an oil company. I found the MSDS but no PDS from their site. I was was hoping some sleuths would have resources past my Google skills.

As the Civic seems relatively easy to change, I will try it if I can't find any better deals.

AZ currently has MaxLife for ~$18/gal with online purchase store pick up, only a few cents more than WM regular price. Might just be till month's end, regular price $20/gal still not too bad. Between two Hondas specing Z1, 150k+ mi. using ML.

As for WM, just checked and [censored] if they no longer have store pick up on ML. Last month or so, not in store stock, but was available for pick up in 2-3 biz days. I put in an in-stock email alert, have to see if they get it back in stock. Not betting on it.

Seems I read somewhere where DW1 was made by Idemitsu but can't say for sure. Looking at the Aisin for DW1 atf on RA and the MSDS which gives limited information, I'd be just as inclined or more so to use ML if I was considering the Aisin product.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
I thought Aisin was a transmission and perhaps other parts maker, not an oil company.

Honda makes cars but they have "Honda ATF"....

Aisin does make transmissions and now they're making (or spec'ing) ATF:

Quote:
AISIN is the largest manufacturer of Automatic Transmissions in the world. By applying decades of knowledge, experience, and development in cooperation with vehicle manufacturers, AISIN has developed a state of the art ATF that will maximize performance and longevity of
automotive transmissions.

I mean, they're certainly a reputable company and certainly have some familiarity with various transmissions (ironically, not Honda transmissions as Honda builds them in-house).

You paraphrased what I said. The Honda is made by Idemitsu, which is an oil company. The point of this thread is to determine which company makes the Aisin fluid, unless they own a subsidiary oil company that I am unaware of... The Honda answer is easy, as it is printed right on the bottle. The Aisin bottle doesn't have any information that I can see from online pictures.

Aisin is basically part of the Toyota empire...

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
I thought Aisin was a transmission and perhaps other parts maker, not an oil company.

Honda makes cars but they have "Honda ATF"....

Aisin does make transmissions and now they're making (or spec'ing) ATF:

Quote:
AISIN is the largest manufacturer of Automatic Transmissions in the world. By applying decades of knowledge, experience, and development in cooperation with vehicle manufacturers, AISIN has developed a state of the art ATF that will maximize performance and longevity of
automotive transmissions.

I mean, they're certainly a reputable company and certainly have some familiarity with various transmissions (ironically, not Honda transmissions as Honda builds them in-house).

Ultimately, it doesn't matter who makes it, whether it's Aisin themselves, a blender, Idemitsu, and so on. If you trust that it's truly a DW-1 equivalent, use it. The low price doesn't have to mean lower quality either, it's just that Honda no longer has "exclusivity" to the DW-1 'formula'.

I am pretty much going to use it. However, one of the past times on BITOG is speculating and sleuthing on the source of oils and comparing the specs on an oil when sourced from different manufacturers.

I already figured that if a transmission company put their names on an ATF, it should be a quality product. Of course, now that I say that someone will come up with an example just to prove me wrong.

AFAIK, Honda DW-1 is made by Idemitsu. I was on Rock Auto pricing parts out and stumbled on Aisin DW-1. Does anyone know how this compares? I priced 10 quarts @$52.xx delivered, which beats most other competitors.

It seems Maxlife is not available for pickup at any local Walmarts but Transmax can be found. The Rockauto price is the lowest and I might be able to drive it lower by buying a few other parts like motor mounts and lowering average shipping cost per part. I saw Maxlife ATF at our Walmart yesterday after a hiatus of several months. Our store has removed the ATF from the shelves for motor oil and placed ATF in a small section of the filter isle.
smile.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if Aisin has Excelda Products(a company that does chemical fulfillment for many of the OEMS) buy Honda ATF DW-1 from Idemitsu and package it under their label, I was at the local dealer and I can confirm Idemitsu does supply DW-1, Honda is encouraging dealers to buy it in bulk, less bottles being transported through their supply chain.

XOM does supply both T-IV and WS fluids to Toyota - as well as TGMO. Toyota's parts system doesn't distribute those fluids, looks like they are deferring that to a XOM jobber to distribute to the dealers. Many of the OEMs defer oil/ATF/coolant distribution to a local distributor.

It's probably rebottled OEM/Idemitsu, nut no reason to try that over the more-easily-available Maxlife ATF (on sale at Autozone like sayjac said, priced the same as Walmart used to sell it for, but without actually having to go to Walmart)

With me in TX, AZ doesn't offer me the same deal. Shipping not available and single quarts over $7. The only other remotely close in price is Castrol Transmax... Assuming it is available at the same price in July and no locals sales before then, I am going to give it a shot.

Perhaps the more controversial is an optional technique to pump out the old fluid and replace basically all of it in one procedure. It is a two person job, so I would have to find a helper if I decided to try it.

All that being said, I am not sure you can get more easily available than having it magically show up on the front porch. I will use a VPN in a few other states to see if I can find the same AZ sale. Just for giggles.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's probably rebottled OEM/Idemitsu, nut no reason to try that over the more-easily-available Maxlife ATF (on sale at Autozone like sayjac said, priced the same as Walmart used to sell it for, but without actually having to go to Walmart)

With me in TX, AZ doesn't offer me the same deal. Shipping not available and single quarts over $7. The only other remotely close in price is Castrol Transmax... Assuming it is available at the same price in July and no locals sales before then, I am going to give it a shot.

Perhaps the more controversial is an optional technique to pump out the old fluid and replace basically all of it in one procedure. It is a two person job, so I would have to find a helper if I decided to try it.

I believe the regular price of the Maxlife gallon is a still-reasonable $20. What price does it give you in TX for the Maxlife jug?

And if the price you can get it for still isn't a good deal, the Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also a very good fluid
smile.gif

Quote:
With me in TX, AZ doesn't offer me the same deal........

Interesting. I just entered first Houston AZ store I found at 2601 Fulton using zip 77001. Shows ML with online order store pick up available @$17.99 gallon as previously noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back