Tell me about Accord CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Anyway, we've had Hondas for years and I can get a killer deal on a remaindered '17.

The dealer here has four new 2016 Accord EX-Ls available. The dealer just went through a major make over finally and many of the new cars were stored off site because of all the construction.

Here they are:

https://www.ganleyhonda.com/new-honda-fo...mp;sortBy=price asc

I think you could get at least $6k off msrp maybe more. I think they were taking off $5500 a few weeks iirc. With end of month coming up maybe get a deal. Just for stopping in you get a $25 prepaid Visa card. Nice for gas fill ups.

I'd probably shoot for $8k off msrp. Calculate taxes and offer them and out the door price.

Last edited:
You can probably get a certified used 2014 Camry SE for $14k with 35k miles, new tires, brakes, maintenance records, used to be my neighbors, no accidents, garage kept, no children or pets.

Ope, nevermind it's been sold. Just checked the link. I was going to say act fast since it won't last.

Why would your neighbors be dumping a three year old appliance?
Was it leased or did it have "issues"?

I would expect the Accord CVT to be very reliable with proper fluid changes. If they fail often and not too far out of warranty i would expect Honda to goodwill or extend warranty. Or perhaps they last 100k to 150k and don't get good willed but they go out often enough that a reman unit isn't that expensive. At the scale of the car it shouldn't be a lot of money. Regular automatics and manual clutches can need to be replaced too. Figure the fuel savings alone should cover the theoretical shortfall of longevity in the unit.

That being said i love the Accord 9th gen car, ours is manual of course, but the whole car is a great daily driver / kid hauler.

Originally Posted By: dareo
I would expect the Accord CVT to be very reliable with proper fluid changes. If they fail often and not too far out of warranty i would expect Honda to goodwill or extend warranty.

Based on Honda's past performance with their POS 5 speeds I doubt that. Took them, what 4 years to figure them out and a few lawsuits to make owners whole and own up to it.

Why would your neighbors be dumping a three year old appliance?
Was it leased or did it have "issues"?

It was leased and he just picked up a new ruby red SE Camry. He's been doing this every 3 years as long as when he moved in. First car was VW Beetle, Honda Accord, Toyota Matrix, which he liked the best. He would have leased another one but none were available. So he leased a Camry for the same amount and has had those ever since. He wife was leasing CRVs and now has a RAV4.

If I were a dedicated to leasing cars, I's probably indulge myself and lease something exciting knowing that the cost isn't all that much more and that I'd be rid of the car long before the inevitable issues arise.
I can't see how it makes economic sense to lease a simple and generally reliable car when you can buy one outright pretty cheaply and expect to drive it for 150K+ with nothing beyond fluid changes, brakes and tires.

Monthly payment was around $160/month with about $800 due at signing. Brakes and tires were never done since the dealer had those taken care of when it was turned in. He paid for one oil change since the first few were part of the free maintenance deal. A few times the car was the last year of that generation so that helped.

If I were a dedicated to leasing cars, I's probably indulge myself and lease something exciting knowing that the cost isn't all that much more and that I'd be rid of the car long before the inevitable issues arise.
I can't see how it makes economic sense to lease a simple and generally reliable car when you can buy one outright pretty cheaply and expect to drive it for 150K+ with nothing beyond fluid changes, brakes and tires.

This. I would totally have a new BMW to drive around if i was a leaser. 2.5 years of payment+extra and our Accord became OUR Accord. Sure it wasn't a low low lease payment but i got her done and its still a great car that i expect to make it to 300k miles.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Monthly payment was around $160/month with about $800 due at signing. Brakes and tires were never done since the dealer had those taken care of when it was turned in. He paid for one oil change since the first few were part of the free maintenance deal. A few times the car was the last year of that generation so that helped.

That does sound pretty cheap.
Running the numbers you'd obviously be ahead buying the car and keeping it ten years, but not by a life-changing amount.
There is something to be said for just mailing off a buck sixty each month and putting gas in the car and driving it with no other concerns.

Monthly payment was around $160/month with about $800 due at signing.

Can't afford NOT to at that price.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: dareo
I would expect the Accord CVT to be very reliable with proper fluid changes. If they fail often and not too far out of warranty i would expect Honda to goodwill or extend warranty.

Based on Honda's past performance with their POS 5 speeds I doubt that. Took them, what 4 years to figure them out and a few lawsuits to make owners whole and own up to it.

That is why I bought the extended warranty and only on the V6, the tranny failed right b4 100k at about 96k. Should have D&F ATF but wasn't enlightened on it. Factory warr was only to 60k. Motorcraft 5w-20 used throughout and transformed the car.

Last edited:
Double digit stepped autos are pretty extreme. 50% of acceleration will be nothing but shifting and all of that shifting time will be in 'reduced torque' for smoothness. But if 20, 30 speed autos are the only way these guys can meet test cycle requirements, then say hello to the future!

Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

That is why I bought the extended warranty and only on the V6, the tranny failed right b4 100k at about 96k. Should have D&F ATF but wasn't enlightened on it. Factory warr was only to 60k. Motorcraft 5w-20 used throughout and transformed the car.

IIRC it was all the 5 speeds. I remember seeing some 4 banger Acuras having issues too. I just avoid Honda - it's pretty simple as their vehicles are nothing special at all.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
The 2018 Accord will have a 1.5ltr turbo 4 with a 10 speed auto transmission. Wait a few months and don't worry about that CVT.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427187/It's_official!_2018_Accord_dri
Can't wait to test drive that one.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: ammolab
The 2018 Accord will have a 1.5ltr turbo 4 with a 10 speed auto transmission. Wait a few months and don't worry about that CVT.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4427187/It's_official!_2018_Accord_dri
Can't wait to test drive that one.

Can't wait (actually I can) to see what it looks like from a design perspective. Some have said it might have some Honda Clarity in it? I liked the Civic hatch they came out with, pulls hard so its hardened inside but the Accord is far more important for Honda being the #2 behind the "Camcord", literally.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the info.
The backup plan would be either a Camry or a Fusion, although there are many other cars at this price point.
If I were young and crazy, there are a lot of things I'd buy for more or less dollars.
These days, I'm happy with anything that delivers good reliability along with decent FE and allows cornering without a lot of slowing down.
I have always detested braking for corners on the street. Such a waste of energy.

They've had some pretty crazy rebates on the Sonata, up to 6,000 on the Limited. I thought about getting one, then I got the used 2012 in my signature with 48K, now 50K.

That must be an ultra low mileage lease for $160 a month. really $182 if you spread the $800 over the life of the lease. Still cheap, but how many miles a year do you get at that price? Certainly less than 10,000. Can't be otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2

That must be an ultra low mileage lease for $160 a month. really $182 if you spread the $800 over the life of the lease. Still cheap, but how many miles a year do you get at that price? Certainly less than 10,000. Can't be otherwise.

36k miles were allowed and he returned it with 35,500 and change.

Yea ok 12,000/yr still a lot less than what I would do. Was this at a dealer or an independent leasing type place? i.e.- lease only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back