8K too long OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread I posted that I use synthetic oil for 8K miles in my 06 Sentra.
It has a 3 quart capacity.
Someone posted that this is too many miles for only 3 quarts.
I never thought of that.
Opinions?

Another tiny sump Sentra here and, personal preference, 8K is about the limit in my mind. Bearing in mind that there is no right answer - too many variables as usual. Stick with syn though with such a small sump.

You'll get a lot of opinions, get a UOA and you'll have facts. It could be damaging your engine, or you could be just fine. I often read blanket statements here like a good dino oil can go 5K miles and a good synthetic 10K miles, or something along those lines. I know for a fact that in my case that is not true and have UOA data to back it up. Bottom line get a UOA to be sure.

Opinion: if you sit in traffic and have a 3 qt sump 8K miles is too long.

If the miles are Highway, it is ok. If you are in traffic doing short trips, I might go shorter. A UOA will tell you more.

As stated above, and as I mentioned it in another thread, 8k might be pushing it. Think of it this way... If we control one single drop of oil in the sump through it's life cycle - we will see that the drop will pass through the filter and oil passages and all of the engine 1 million times (random number) in a 6 quart 4 cylinder engine. Well in a 4 cylinder engine with a 3 quart sump the same drop will see the engine surfaces twice as much. I believe that at such point the oil additive package could be in a shape that does not provide ultimate protection anymore, and all it will take is a small increase in oil stress (WOT or long idling time, etc) to reach it's limits and cause irreversible damage to the engine. Spun bearing, camshaft/crankshaft surfaces, cylinder walls, etc. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Opinion: you don't really know without performing an oil analysis.

Experience: I've run conventional oil 8,000 miles of mixed driving and an oil analysis has said it was still good.

All good suggestions made so far. With only a 3-quart sump, I'd be nervous about going 8,000 miles unless it was all highway miles.

Having said that, as others have stated, getting a Used Oil Analysis done will definitely help determine if 8k is too much for your oil. If it were me, I'd do a pull @ 6k miles, and see how it is.. and go from there.

I would also like to add that you should also make sure your air filter is in good shape. If it's got a hole, or is not filtering well enough, or is not in there right (and thus letting stuff by), your oil is definitely not going to look good.

I'm curious to know what peculiarities your engine has.

I've seen Mobil 1 go 30,000 miles in a 5 quart pan Chevy 350.
Of course, that's a low-power-density application (about 1/2hp per cu/in)

I've been running 8K or so OCI with full synthetic for the 81K out of 178K miles that I've owned the car.
I never have to add oil.
This next oil change will be the first oil analysis I've done.
My driving is 80 % high way but there is a lot of stop and go during rush hour.

Does it use a spin-on filter? If so, you might see if you can find a bigger one that will fit and bring up your total sump capacity a bit.

I'd prolly limit it to 6,000 miles for my peace of mind ...
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back