What happened to Arco graphite motor oil?

I tried it once years ago. Didn't like how dark it was. If I recall, I ran a short OCI and went on to something else that actually looked like oil.

Originally Posted By: Rosetta
As I understand by aeronautics practices, the graphite over aluminum + moisture in the air = corrosion in aluminum. But in a batch of engine oil? Would graphite corrode aluminum head in its gasket area? I don't think so. But the use of ARCO GRAPHITE stopped since the wide spread of aluminum heads in the 80's ... Wonder if that Was that cohincidence or related ...

I don't think so. I think it was just a marketing failure. People didn't like the black appearance of the oil when new. I didn't have a problem with it in my aluminum block Vega.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I don't think so. I think it was just a marketing failure. People didn't like the black appearance of the oil when new. I didn't have a problem with it in my aluminum block Vega.

So if they would have put the purple dye that Royal Purple uses in their oil, we would all be using Arco Graphite today? Its good to see people choosing a motor oil based on real performance facts instead of emotional responses.
33.gif

?graphite is awesome .but it has drawback, graphite tend to have the property of dirt.ya it love water.(like ethanol or the bio part in diesel.so oci have to be normal(no 15000 miles here)that's why graphene is way better then graphite .graphene doesn't care one bit about water

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I forgot you also used it (M1) on your Chevette, Gary.

300-400 miles a day would be rough in one of those - you didn't want something bigger/softer? :p

I can't really imagine an early Chevette taking that kind of use very well!
chevette?google iron duke engine .one of the toughest engine ever made.my brother beat the [censored] out of our sister chevette because he didn't want to do the body job.he gave up and gave her a car and kept the chevette and sent it to the scap yard .he was [censored] at the car .he hadn't manage to break it .without being obvious .(emptying coolant etc)if gm had added two piston to that design (inline 6)they wouldn't have been in so many trouble .(305 thinking its a 350 (can wrong length or bore of can not deep enough)etc

The Chevette was not built with Iron Duke engines.
The Iron Duke was used in GM's Citations, Celebrities, GrandAm's, Fiero's, etc.
The Chevette was built with 1.4 and 1.6L I4 gas engines and a 1.8L Isuzu diesel (for people who had a lot of time to get from place to place and very strong bladders).

I think it was primarily the color.
For what it may be worth, it was an excellent tool for demonstrating the ability of the AMSOIL Bypass Filter of the day to remove particles--cleaned up the ARCO graphite.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
For what it may be worth, it was an excellent tool for demonstrating the ability of the AMSOIL Bypass Filter of the day to remove particles--cleaned up the ARCO graphite.

No way, the graphite there is 1/2 micron sized. No way a bypass filter could trap it all to the point of cleaning the oil. I call [censored].

No way, the graphite there is 1/2 micron sized. No way a bypass filter could trap it all to the point of cleaning the oil. I call [censored].

This is why Arco Graphite went out of business; it turns out the the little metal shaving's of graphite; that were in graphite motor oil; acted more like the opposite of a Lubricant.

Originally Posted By: RoofTopPigeon

This is why Arco Graphite went out of business; it turns out the the little metal shaving's of graphite; that were in graphite motor oil; acted more like the opposite of a Lubricant.

Holy thread revival batman!

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
The crystalline structure of graphite is bad for motor oil. It's like a plate. The plate "top and bottom" sides are good, smooth surfaces. The bad part is the edges which are relatively sharp or coarse. Not good, which is likely one of the reasons it was dropped.
Molybdenum is similar, but doesn't have that problem, making it better for engines.
I'm sure the black color freaked some out. I used it in my 69 Z/28 until my father told me why I shouldn't. He's a world renowned geophysicist, so I took him at his word. He specialized in high-pressre, high-temperature geochemical research. I still thought it was cool though. But a bugger to get off of your hands and concrete.

Yeah, cleaning that stuff up was a nightmare
laugh.gif
I ran some in a slant 6 for a while. But, if you spilled any, or had a leak, your world turned black and stayed that way ...

I don't recall whether I used any of this stuff or not.
I probably did, since it would have been on clearance after being discontinued and clearance at the time would have been around a quarter a quart.
Does anyone know what the graphite content of this oil was?
500 ppm of moly is a lot, for example.
How much graphite did this oil have and if it actually worked without unwanted side effects then why don't we see this as an additive anymore?

The last time I recall using Arco Graphite would have been around 1984, roughly the same time that Arco sold most of its gas stations in the Northeast over to Shell.

Arco was having a rough few years. Arco Graphite got a reputation for ruining engines and they were embroiled in a several-year long class action lawsuit from New England customers who experienced rotted out carburetors, gas tanks and fuel lines due to Arco's use of methanol as an additive.

So I think it was likely a combination of things that caused that oil to disappear. I only ever used it as a top-off oil. I couldn't bring myself to put five quarts into a sump- it just felt wrong.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't recall whether I used any of this stuff or not.
I probably did, since it would have been on clearance after being discontinued and clearance at the time would have been around a quarter a quart.
Does anyone know what the graphite content of this oil was?
500 ppm of moly is a lot, for example.
How much graphite did this oil have and if it actually worked without unwanted side effects then why don't we see this as an additive anymore?

Graphite OTC additives still exist, as do graphited motor oils

Additives of all sorts exist many of which are called snake oil for good reason.
Not doubting you, but could you name a few motor oils in which graphite is a part of the add pack?

Elf Molygraphite: contains graphite AND MoS2. comes in at least 2 viscosity grades

Marly Black Gold: 5w-40, 10w-40, 15w-40

Those are the ones I know of without Googling.

Back