NY Rebuilt tilte

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a van off my neighbor for almost nothing, the title is NY and its "rebuilt salvage" He went and did the entire NYS salvage title fiasco and was issued this rebuilt title. My question is, WILL i have to go do that all over again? I only want info about people in NY with NY titles in the same situation. Because if NY expects me to pay $205 like the PO did and wait 4 months to get this POS re examined just to get a title ill just junk it.

Just call DMV and ask. If you go there try to find a guy to talk to . The women there are undoubtedly the most miserable people outside N Korea. It shouldn't need it but reason an NYDMV live in opposite dimensions.

Originally Posted By: Driz
Just call DMV and ask. If you go there try to find a guy to talk to . The women there are undoubtedly the most miserable people outside N Korea. It shouldn't need it but reason an NYDMV live in opposite dimensions.
its obvious that you have never delt with the Ca dmv! I bet the NY dmv are sweethearts compared...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Driz
its obvious that you have never delt with the Ca dmv! I bet the NY dmv are sweethearts compared...

Pretty confident I can top that reason-wise. Local DMV uses Chinese Logic, (and/or necromancy, if there's a difference).

Double check with your state's DMV, but to my knowledge the hoops are typically only when the vehicle is retitled as salvage. Once it has the title, it can be transferred just as easily as a clear title.

That was my experience in CA... I haven't gone through the process out here in the east yet.

You should be okay as far as registering it.

The hard part now is going to be getting insurance. It's hard to find a major insurance company that wants to insure (liability) on a salvage vehicle in NY

From the NYS DMV: "Response By Email (DFI Salvage Unit) (06/26/2017 10:18 Unless there has been another declaration of salvage since that title was issued, it doesn't need another exam"

As for insurance I'm just going to get basic liability, no collision or comprehensive

I bought a truck with a Rebuilt salvage title it was painless.
It's just a simple transfer to resale it. As matter of fact you can cheat on sales tax because it's not related to Blue Book value now and tax is whatever the seller states.
Insurance is easy to.
I have State Farm and they stated it doesn't matter if it's a rebuilt title, you pay the rate on year/ model.
Basically they are saying that you are paying insurance rates on the vehicle not the value of the vehicle. I even had full coverage because it was a late model, low miles truck I bought with the rebuilt title- No issues.

The state of New York has very strict rules I was just concerned that I would have to go through the inspection process all over again but since the title is already branded Salvage rebuilt in New York I don't have to do that but anybody who has a salvage title or an out-of-state salvage title has to go through a very complicated process that takes months

Salvage = needs inspection
Salvage Rebuilt = needs nothing.

I've had two rebuilt title cars and had zero issues getting liability insurance. I'm not the kind of person to buy collission.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back