Current best photo hosting site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Ive long used Photobucket. Im not keen on the URL-linked images or anything else, I prefer to just use plain old IMG code.

Since BITOG now allows photos to be embedded, its less of a need, but sometimes its nice to have photos hosted.

Recently it seems Photobucket has changed its TOS, and so now all my photos in threads where I used code, on here and elsewhere get:

[URL='https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/06/full-698-9210-screen_shot_2017_06_25_at_1.46.23_pm.png'][IMG]https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/attachments/usergals/2017/06/full-698-9210-screen_shot_2017_06_25_at_1.46.23_pm.png[/URL]

Ive long ben unhappy about photo bucket screwing up file names, so if I have a photo named img_1234.jpg, generally photo bucket renames it something like img_1234hduhasjfh_hiowdhaiosdh131244.jpg

Makes putting together multiple photo threads a challenge...

So, recommendations?

Thanks!

That's weird. I'm not having any of the problems you describe with photobucket.

Photobucket is sometimes really slow though.

Doesn't that image only show if you use up all your allowed bandwidth for the month?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive long ben unhappy about photo bucket screwing up file names, so if I have a photo named img_1234.jpg, generally photo bucket renames it something like img_1234hduhasjfh_hiowdhaiosdh131244.jpg

Go into Settings --> Privacy tab, and turn off "File Name Scrambling"

Flickr, by far.
1000GB ( 1TB ) of free storage, there are also groups, you can follow people and people can follow you, you can make albums, choose if your pictures are public or private, you can download your own pictures in smaller sizes than the original version...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Reddit loves IMGUR.

The problem with imgur is that it strips off EXIF data and also re-compresses/down-compresses images. But at least it's not as painfully slow as photobucket.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Flickr, by far.

Does Flickr give you properly formatted image URLs for sharing on UBB forums such as this one?

A few sample images I clicked on Flickr did not.

I hear you on Photobucket. I've used them for years too. The adds and popups on the site are horrendous now. I kind of dread using it.

To make photobucket a lot more friendly, get a smart phone app.

I take virtually no photos with my DSLR any more, and uploading them to photobucket straight from my phone to photobucket is a snap. Painfully slow if on a windows PC, though.

I was using dropbox and they recently canned public folders for free accounts so it screwd up all my posted photos.. not rewarding them with any $$$

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
To make photobucket a lot more friendly, get a smart phone app.

I take virtually no photos with my DSLR any more, and uploading them to photobucket straight from my phone to photobucket is a snap. Painfully slow if on a windows PC, though.

I agree about PB phone app.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I was using dropbox and they recently canned public folders for free accounts so it screwd up all my posted photos.. not rewarding them with any $$$

That sucks. I was going to suggest dropbox.

Could it be the long con of these photo sites to have you put your stuff there, litter the 'net with links back to the host, then cripple it to get money out of you?

I have high hopes for the bitog inline hosting.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Reddit loves IMGUR.

The problem with imgur is that it strips off EXIF data and also re-compresses/down-compresses images. But at least it's not as painfully slow as photobucket.

You WANT EXIF data removed from publicly posted images. For $25 a year you can host full-sized images, although for posting in forums I re-sample to 800x600 and 100 kB or slightly less JPEG, so the free service works great if that's what you do with images.

Unlike Photobucket, they don't remove your images if you don't login at least once every six months. Nothing worse than searching a forum, and finding dead photobucket links.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Reddit loves IMGUR.

You WANT EXIF data removed from publicly posted images.

Not if you are a photography buff and want information such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO preserved.

I prefer to be in control of when to keep exif data and when to remove it.

Register a domain with a cheap host like Godaddy and just use that
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

The domains don't come with any hosting; but even their cheapest hosting plans are pretty cheap.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

The domains don't come with any hosting; but even their cheapest hosting plans are pretty cheap.

I think the "get hosting" part was implied, LOL!
wink.gif
You can buy them as a package IIRC, domain plus barebones hosting and it is extremely inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back