Ruger 10mm 1911!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Al - I actually DO like plinking with my G20. Put the FBI load 10mm (which is what most of the offerings are - about 1050 FPS with a 180gr bullet - so, a .40 in a longer case) and the big pistol is quite mild. More mild than, say, my H&K USP compact in .40.

So, yeah, load it up for bears, SD, or the range. The nice thing about a high performance machine is that you don't always have to use the performance - but it's nice to have should you want it.

Certainly not faulting you.
smile.gif

I used to do a lot of hiking in places where you wanted to have something a bit shouter in your backpac. So I "Plinked" with my .45

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

And in my earlier days I shot .45 never enjoyed a 1911. But again..that's just me.

Because you didn't enjoy the 1911 or the .45?

I like 9mm 1911s myself...

Btw, anyone think a .40 conversion barrel will become available? not sure if the setup Ruger is using makes this viable for lots of sales...

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I do love some 10mm. Glad to see another one available. I've been being tempted by the Glock 40mos lately. Already have the full set of Smith 10mm's, well full minus a 610.

Including frame mounted decocker models in all barrel lengths? I think one of those is hen's teeth rare. Cant remember the model number off the top of my head and don't have my daisy wheel handy.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I think the Dan Wesson is my favorite 1911/10mm pistol, increased capacity DW quality really a fantastic gun but has the price to match as well. I think the Ruger is too expensive for what it brings to the table but I'd love to have a 10mm in my safe.

When the US CZ distributor moved to Kansas City soon after acquiring Dan Wesson around 2008, they must have liquidated lots of stock because there were lots of CZ and Dan Wesson deals at one gun show. I picked up a ZKK 502 458 Win and a Razorback 10MM for awesome prices.

I like the idea of a 10mm, but im not sure what I'd use it for. The woods? There's nothing here in the northeast I can't stop with my 9mm using the right load

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarcS
I like the idea of a 10mm, but im not sure what I'd use it for. The woods? There's nothing here in the northeast I can't stop with my 9mm using the right load

Lots of angry piggies and brown bear in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't want to shoot a boar with anything less than a 10mm. They are tough

Originally Posted By: MarcS
That makes sense. Biggest thing we have around here is black bear.

Yeah the preferred solution is to avoid them, sometimes that's not possible. I almost walked into a gator next down in central Florida. That would have been very bad. It's mostly the pigs you have to watch out for around here. They breed like crazy and tear up native habitat. There's no season and no bag limit
laugh.gif

You guys are a bad influence. I've been intrigued by the idea of a 10mm since reading this thread, among others, and decided to pull the trigger this week, thanks Jeff
thumbsup2.gif
. Ruger really does a nice job on their 1911s. Picked this one up on Tuesday and fired 100 rounds through it on Wednesday. Trigger is fantastic. Out of the box, after clean/lube, it was averaging just over 4 pounds with a tiny bit of creep and is now at just under 4 with absolutely no creep at all. Accuracy was okay but should be better with the right loads. Barrel mic'd at .400" and the bullets, both S&B and Magtech, mic'd at .399" which leaves no doubt it'll only get better once I start reloading the 10s. Best part is I found a local store that graciously matched the best online price I could find so I had enough left in the budget to get an LCPII also. Going to the range today for more fun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
... I carry a 23 .40 S&W as my daily.

As do I, but they are a S&W .40 and a Llama 0.40. If I didn't already have some .40 cal's I would seriously consider the 10mm. There was a great article in one of the firearms magazines about the history and the return of the 10mm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back