Cabin Filter for 2013 Ford Fiesta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good brand of Cabin Air Filter for 2013 Ford Fiesta. Wow It costs $80 to 111, and more to have a shop replace it! I already removed it. Not too dirty, but don't want that extra charge when I have the AC serviced. I was curious if it was so dirty that it was affecting the AC performance. Don't think so. Will replace while I'm in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try O'Reilly Auto Parts. Microgard for $8.49; Wix for $24.99.. As I understand it, Wix makes Microgard Assume I got your Fiesta info correct. I would think any of the big box auto stores would be close to this pricing.

Mine is a VP8E2H-16N619-AB. Who makes it for Ford? Where to get Motorcraft in 78621? Motorcraft would be fine, but don't want to pay 2X if I can get one that matches the same specs.

Yeah, it is. 28,000 miles on it. Book that came with it when I bought it new said change at 30,000 miles on one page and every 10,000 on an other.

CAF and oil filters are commonly reviewed by sight alone. We here on BITOG don't even have "specs" on oil filter media. It's the 800 lb. gorilla which never was in the room.

Regarding CAFs, I've seen mere wavy "paper", cheaper to better thicker filter paper and thick, seemingly well assembled charcoal laden examples.

Also, I've seen posts involving making your own from large, home AC panels. Unless I've missed something, going that route seems a waste of time as the home filters seem very porous to me.

Pick an example from FRAM or Purolater when they're on a combo sale with an oil change at some store near you and take it from there. When ordering from RockAuto make sure any CAF (or anything else, really) is shipped from the same warehouse or multiple postage fees will eat any savings up real fast. Look for the little truck icon.

Believe me, we all know the sting of buying a basic maintenance part at a dealership's parts counter.
If you go WIX or Hastings via mail order (just seeing if you're listening) you'll have matched any auto company branded filter and get a leg up on simplifying your situation.

Want a genuine Ford filter? Check out Tasca Auto Parts (Rhode Island) then see what the shipping will be. I just did that for a $7.50 part and learned that adding $70 worth of other stuff didn't move the $10 minimum shipping fee one penny.

What'll get your hackles up is when something like a cabin air filter comes in a box 5 times the size necessary.

It's a game. Learn it so you pay the least. And remember, they're not in it to break even or lose.

Unless you have bad allergies, choose the cheapest low-efficiency, high-flow filter. You want the extra blowing power in that TX heat.

You're right about that. The Fiesta's AC seemed wimpy even brand new. Beginning to wonder if they put enough coolant in the system in when assembled in Mexico. Our 99 Tracer blows cold no matter how hot it gets. How do you determine what's high flow?

Last edited:
If it's a sturdy enough constructed one, just shop vac it off and stuff it back in. I get a year or two worth of service out of them that way. If it's a flimsy Nissan style where you have to mash it into a strip, stuff it in and hope it expands into the plenum space it's supposed to, I just remove and replace those.

I prefer activated carbon in my cabin filters, personally. Anything to prevent bad smells from wafting over the evaporator coils.

We noticed a relative's Honda Minivan had almost no air flow through the back seat air vents. Replacing the cabin air filter changed that immediately. That filter was pretty dirty. So a very dirty cabin filter can affect AC output.

My 2007 Honda Accord came with a Microguard cabin filter (I don't know what it said on the box but that's what it said on the filter). So I buy a Microguard filter if I can find them. I bought an Ultra brand cabin filter a few days ago. It was $15 vs $30 at the dealer. I don't worry too much about the brand of cabin filter.

But I buy an OEM engine air filter ($18.66 for the Honda). I bought a (non OEM) name brand engine filter for the BMW a few years ago but it had far less surface area (far fewer pleats) than the original and it didn't fit as well as I would have liked. So I took it back.

Nothing wrong with FRAMs in the $12-$25 range. I replaced mine with a $17 FRAM less $3 mfg rebate. Ordered it as part of a $50 Walmart deal to get free shipping.

Originally Posted By: Colt
I go with TYC cabin filters and buy from Amazon.
Good quality filters at a decent cost.

I've gone through a few of those TYC's from Amazon and no issue.

Had a neighbor not long ago took her Nissan Murano in a shop because her AC wasn't working good for a few years.
Wasn't an AC problem, it was a CAF. Something she didn't know about. Came over and asked me if I ever heard of a cabin air filter?
I don't know what they charged her but she was happy her AC is now working but wasn't happy about the bill. Might of been one of the harder to replace CAF's.

Originally Posted By: borgward
when I have the AC serviced.

A 2013 with 28k miles shouldn't need any a/c "service."

Originally Posted By: borgward
You're right about that. The Fiesta's AC seemed wimpy even brand new. Beginning to wonder if they put enough coolant in the system in when assembled in Mexico. Our 99 Tracer blows cold no matter how hot it gets. How do you determine what's high flow?

Coolant is what goes in a radiator...to carry heat from the engine block.

Refrigerant is what's in an a/c system. If its not cooling to your liking you, it should be under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back