VQ37VHR vs Pentastar Pistons Carbon Buildup - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally gotten to taking a look inside the cylinder of the VQ37VHR in my 2013 G37. Like with the 2013 Jeep Wrangler Pentastar V6 I just wanted to see what the pistons look like in terms of carbon build up. Tried only one cylinder. Unlike Champion plugs in Pentastar, gap on these Denso plugs in VQ37VHR was within spec after 40,329 miles. Therefore, no need to change them.

You'll be the judge in terms of comparing carbon buildup in both engines. Let me just mention that both vehicles are maintained identically and fueled at the same gas stations. Predominantly local Exxon, or local Shell on occasion, depending on convenience. Always branded gas. Wrangler has 7 miles commute one way, G37 has 15 mile one way commute. But then G37 is used 3 days each week to make local runs 3 to 5 miles long, while the Jeep sees 30 miles continuous ride every Saturday and 84 miles trip on Sunday once a month. They both get same motor oil, Pennzoil PP or Castrol Edge 5w30, 2 times a year regardless of mileage, done on the same day with the oil filter change. Both vehicles are driven same mileage a year. Right now G37 is at 40,437 while Jeep is at 40,583. Both vehicle were acquired brand new, 9 miles on Jeep and 12 miles on G37.

Pentastar V6, 36K miles, intake valves/piston pics
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4309211/1

G37 VQ37VHR Spark Plug. Within spec at 40,329 miles. Threads covered with non-metallic anti-seize from the factory.

G37 VQ37VHR fairly minimal carbon buildup at 40,329 miles. Branded 93 octane is used in this vehicle.

Very clean engine with top tier fully synthetic oils with 4,500 to 5,000 miles change intervals.

5000 mile interval looks to be treating your insides very well. granted engines are na and your using decent oils so i would expect nothing less!

Let me just post Pentastar and VQ37VHR side-by-side because this was meant to be a comparison illustration.

Pentastar 3.6L

VQ37VHR

makes me wish i had a borescope, would have loved to get those kind of pics when i did plugs on the sable last fall.

might have to look into it if the vibe makes it to 240k mi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back