5.9l Dodge Magnum oil consumption question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2003 Dodge Durango with 5.9L. Currently using Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30, yearly OCI...usually 1,000-2,500 miles a year. Got back from a Grand Canyon trip (we tow Durango behind motorhome). I want to say we put 400-500 miles driving around. I changed oil before trip and noticed during trip is was half way into safe on dipstick. Had to add a little less than a quart (just to be safe). Never noticed oil consumption like that before...not leaks no smoke, etc...been a great truck. Is there a better oil to deal with oil consumption on this motor? Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
When was the last time the PCV valve was changed? I'd throw a new Mopar one in it and see what that does. Aftermarket ones are junky.

I'm not all that familiar with that engine and what it likes for oil, but any high mileage oil is a great place to start. Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil HM...plus many others, can't really go wrong. I think synthetic is overkill for your app though, under 3000 miles a year? If you're going to change it once a year, just use conventional or a synthetic blend.

Last edited:
I would stick to the same oil 2 or more times to see if it stops. I would replace the PCV valve with a factory Chrysler one. Don't use an aftermarket one. I have found them to cause more issues. Also, if it is easy, take the PCV plumbing hose off and spray it out with carb cleaner to get the gunk and buildup out of it should it have any.
Oh and get it up to temp and floor it for a few seconds a few times to clear it out. Carbon , sticky rings stuff like that. If do a few runs from 40mph to 75mph.

Not sure on when it was changed. I will change it and see what happens. Thanks to all again. Regarding high mileage oil, does the seal conditioners hurt in the long run? Or is that another myth? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Not sure on when it was changed. I will change it and see what happens. Thanks to all again. Regarding high mileage oil, does the seal conditioners hurt in the long run? Or is that another myth? Thanks.

The seal conditioners won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: bbartow
Blown plenum gasket would be a good place to start. Notorious on the magnum motors.

Veryyyyy common on Magnum blocks. Shine a flash light down into the intake with the throttle body open. If you see oil pooling, that's a sure sign your intake gasket is blown.

If you plan on keeping the Durango for a long period of time, get an aluminum plate like the Hughes plate and throw in a FelPro intake gasket to mate between the plate and the intake.

Otherwise just fix it however as cheaply as you prefer
laugh.gif

Same engine 85k in my truck, no matter what oil I use I lose 1at per 5k, I change it when it gets a at low, I have 2 very small leaks one being front seal,the other a valve cover

Originally Posted By: NStuart
Same engine 85k in my truck, no matter what oil I use I lose 1at per 5k, I change it when it gets a at low, I have 2 very small leaks one being front seal,the other a valve cover

FelPro makes a really good valve cover gasket. Permaseal, or something like that. Easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back