post your latest differential fluid change

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (10,500 miles)
Drained Factory Fluids, Differentials were a little more nasty than I expected. MT and TC seemed ok.
In:
- Front and Rear Diff: Motul Gear-300 75w-90
- Manual Trans: Motorcrafctt "XT-M5-QS" (It is a Full Syn 75W-80 GL-4 (NOT a GL-5)
- Transfer Case: Toyota 75W-85 GL-5 "LT" (Apparently there is no acceptable substitute for this)

Originally Posted By: Speedbird001
2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road (10,500 miles)
Drained Factory Fluids, Differentials were a little more nasty than I expected. MT and TC seemed ok.

I would consider this as signs indicating inadequacy of out-going differential oil viscosity grade, and adjust accordingly.

I'll second that. The light weight transmission and gear lubes are for people who only need 4X4 for occasional use,
or own one just to lift it 9 inches and show it off with 44s at the mall parking lot.
For the rest of us that actually need and use all four tires on a regular basis, something a litter thicker please.
If my truck was chipped 'n deleted, I might consider 85W140 instead of 80W140, which replaced the factory 75W90.

Last edited:
2017 Ford F 150. 1251 miles. 9.75 rear end with electronic lock. Changed cover to a Mag-Hytec with a dipstick and a magnetic drain plug. 5.5 quarts of Delo Syn-Gear XDM 75w90. Almost double the stock capacity.

2006 Range Rover Sport 50K Miles

Front: Out FF In Red line 75/90
Rear: Out FF In Red line 75/90
T Case: Out FF In Royal Purple Synchromax
Trans: Out FF In New Filter & ZF 6 Fluid
PS: Out FF In Ravenol SSF

Last edited:
1977 corvette
out: unknown but it dind't look that bad.
in: ST 85w140 with Trans-X posi additive.

Did the yoke and pinion seals and replaced out of spec yoke.

2007 4Runner 70k

Old: Toyota WS

New: Amsoil ATL

The WS was only three years old, but I wanted something better. Butt dyno seems like its running a bit smoother.

2003 Crown Vic PI 69,600 miles
Out:Unknown, but judging from the amount of RTV, someone had been in it before so it had been changed at least once.
In:Mix of Supertech 85W140, Synpower 75W140, Schaeffers 75W140 and Castrol 80W90.

Mainly just to get some fresh stuff in and use up my left overs. In the next 10-15k I plan to replace the limited slip clutch pack with the better carbon clutches and I will fill it with Schaeffer's 75W140 at that time.

Rear Diff. & transfer case. : 2014 Buick Regal AWD 40k : Rear Diff : Out factory fill : In Delo Syn-Gear XDM 75w-90 with Ac delco LS additive (2.7 oz per quart). Diff. Holds a whopping 22 ounces. : Transfer case : Out factory fill : In AC Delco transfer case fluid 75w-90 special sauce : $50.00 per quart. Could not find an approved substitute. T-case also takes only 22 ounces. Still need to do the Diff. Clutch / Haldex unit. Its kinda buried might have to bring to my mechanic.

Front and rear diff and also transfer case in 2016 silverado.

9,000 miles on vehicle.

Out: Factory fill on both diffs and TC.

In: Mobil 1 75w-90 in both diffs, Valvoline MaxLife Dex 6 in TC.

Transfer case fluid didnt look too bad, magnetic plug had tons of "fuzz" on it.
Diff fluid in the front looked like liquid caramel... Factory fill fluid color? No issues either way.
Diff fluid in rear had shimmer to it and was starting to turn dark.

2004 BMW 325i 64k mi

Out: Original fil

In: Delo/Synpower 75W90.

Back