Why do Transmission shops piddle around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts. Plain and simple. My Grand Cherokee has been at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting on an alternator. They said 30 days, so today I ordered it from the States, and should have it in 10 days.

The rings I got with my engine overhaul kit for the Corvair were not the right ones in the box. Another 2 months to replace.

Rare is the gasket set that comes complete. I make my own.

Although the Automatic transmission rebuild kit I bought from Rock Auto was complete.

Originally Posted By: widman
Parts. Plain and simple. My Grand Cherokee has been at the dealer for 3 weeks waiting on an alternator. They said 30 days, so today I ordered it from the States, and should have it in 10 days.

The rings I got with my engine overhaul kit for the Corvair were not the right ones in the box. Another 2 months to replace.

Rare is the gasket set that comes complete. I make my own.

Although the Automatic transmission rebuild kit I bought from Rock Auto was complete.

Just wanted to tell you thanks again for your wonderful website and restoration photographs.

Usually parts availability. We stock very few internal transmission parts. Usually just popular sellers. I don't think we even have clutches and steels for a 4R70W anymore as it has been so long since we have sold any. Most everything we can get either overnight or 2 days out so it isn't worth stocking just to have it sit on a shelf and collect dust for a year or more.

Also a lot of times you will open up a trans and find additional broken parts that have to be addressed.

Originally Posted By: BironDanmum
I'm surprised that there are shops that actually do rebuilds for the customer. When pricing a TH400 I was quoted $1400 for a rebuild which ended up being the lowest estimate, while a new reman unit (Jasper) from Autozone was less than $800. $400 for the install still ended up being $200 cheaper than having it rebuilt. The biggest advantage? From transmission failure to new install and back on the road in two business days.

LOl He is rebuilding a TH700-R4.. he wants it "bullet proof" with aftermarket parts, last shop had his transmission for 5 months, still in parts... That was okay because he hired a auto body tech as a "side job" to paint his 1969 Chevrolet Kingswood. He would stop by and offer a beer or called, and got the same answers, "going to work on it this Saturday".....

Now he has taken the transmission(in parts) to another shop. Should have bought one from Jegs on a crate!

Facebook comment about the transmission shop:
Quote:
I am in process of taking him to small claims!!!!!!!! We took our truck to be fixed paid $1800. For transmission to be rebuilt. Got it back and had problems with it. Took it back and he said the problem wasn't in transmission. Had four others lok at it and they all said yes it was. He refused to fix it. Took it to j and a auto and they put the cylinoids in it like the codes read and changed the filter cuz Chaplin's put the wrong filter in and it fixed it. Sowe ended up paying another $550 to get it fixed from his mess upand he refuses to pay it!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back