Consensus On New Ford Explorers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 2013 for 3 years on lease, put 42K miles on it. We liked it but they have a design flaw that we couldn't live with as well as various quality issues so we turned it in at lease end. Under heavy load, IE accelerating on a freeway on ramp, exhaust gasses enter the rear of the vehicle through the vents that are under the rear bumper.

This is a well documented issue. Ford came out with a TSB which involves basically replacing the rear ventelation vents under the bumper with redesigned ones, a new seal around the rear hatch and sealing a bunch of body points with expandable foam. Didn't work on ours.

Even the new ones (2017) are reported to still have the issue.

Besides that the following issues developed in the 3 years/42K miles:

- Exhaust leak from rear head, ticking noise under load.
- Drivers side windshield washer nozzle broke inside the hood at the plastic connector.
- Rear bumper was uneven, had a gap larger on one side than the other.
- Sand or crud under the paint in a few areas ( this is a pretty common issue on these)
- The LED information display between the speedo and tach would randomly stay lit even with the doors shut and locked.
- The drivers rear seat release lever to fold the 2nd row up to get in the back was locked up, could only go through the passenger side.
- Windshield wipers wouldn't work on their fastest setting, they would just turn off instead.

This was our first Ford vehicle (reason for leasing) and quality was just, meh.... That being said. We did like the way it drove and the 3.5 is a pretty awesome power-plant.

If you are looking at a AWD model, the unit that controls power to the rear wheels is known to crack from stress and leak fluid all over the exhaust.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Get whichever color your local PD has and steely wheels, stick a bunch of magnetic CB antennas on it and enjoy people getting out of your way.
laugh.gif

A local PD can't seem to keep theirs out of the repair shop, and on the road. So I think it would just create confusion for people, wondering what it was..

deleted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Originally Posted By: E150GT
The consensus is they are freaking expensive.

In those exact words is what comes to mind when I think "Ford Explorer"

BITOG members don't like new cars.....because this is the place where old cars come to die.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

1993-ford-explorer-exterior.jpg

Ha, my wife had that EXACT Explorer/Trim when I met her! Ahhh, memories.

Get whichever color your local PD has and steely wheels, stick a bunch of magnetic CB antennas on it and enjoy people getting out of your way.
laugh.gif

A local PD can't seem to keep theirs out of the repair shop, and on the road. So I think it would just create confusion for people, wondering what it was..

Not exactly true. They don't go in for mechanical repairs... but body repairs are common (see my last complaint). At least they are nowhere near as bad as the old Impalas LEV and Charger Pursuits. The PI Utility is the preferred go-to option for my LEO folks... unless they are highway and rather have a PI sedan/Charger.

So, I have a few in my fleet and personally owned them (for the Mrs) for '94 and '98.

I still call them exploders but they are not bad. I dislike the modern ones just because it does not feel like you sit centered in the driving position. It is an odd geometry in those vehicles. Personally, I would rather have a different vehicle for the modern explorer asking price... but they have been good mechanically for us... (see below

The AWD is not all that great if you go with "performance street tires". The LEO seem to get them stuck alot but we have to keep Eagles on them. Tire choice is a bit more important for these vehicles for some reason (don't see this as much for my AWD Taurus). Ground clearance is "meh" and sometimes I think the old panther bodies could tackle going off-road better and had better clearance.

Problem: viability. You will wreck this car due to the blind spots... including with back-up cameras. All of my explorers have been in an accident multiple times. One accident was the first trip of the new vehicle and I had two last week. My folks just can't figure our where the corners are on the vehicle. Small windows, odd design (and I blame the driving position too) but folks just keep running into things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

BITOG members don't like new cars.....because this is the place where old cars come to enjoy a long and healthy retirment.

FTFY
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

1993-ford-explorer-exterior.jpg

Ha, my wife had that EXACT Explorer/Trim when I met her! Ahhh, memories.

laugh.gif

Not exactly true. They don't go in for mechanical repairs...

It most certainly is true with a PD that is local to my home. Lots of issues that are drivetrain related. Officers that are friends of mine have stated that they are not abused, and are generally handled gingerly, because having them out of service for repair so often, isn't conducive to public safety.

Thanks for implying I wasn't being truthful, though...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: CKN

BITOG members don't like new cars.....because this is the place where old cars come to enjoy a long and healthy retirment.

FTFY
thumbsup2.gif

OK-but there has been more than one case of "that motor should last forever" only to have head gaskets or some other issue(s) that necessitates an expensive repair.

To each his own tho.

I would purchase one of the current-generation Explorers. I owned several from the 02-05 generation and had few problems with any of them.

I am the supervisor of a law enforcement unit that has decided to prefer Explorers after trying many different vehicles. I have never been assigned one and have only driven one to the radio repair shop once. I can't recall any reasons to love or hate them based on my brief experience. Those who are assigned them generally are pleased. Those who have a choice of which vehicle to drive usually choose the Explorer. They have not been without problems here and there, but certainly as reliable as any of the other SUVs we have (Jeep Cherokees, Expeditions, and current- and last-generation Escapes). Come to think of it, I would say Explorers have had less downtime than any of the Escapes we have.

I've read of a few horror stories of the front wheel drive based Ecoboost 3.5L having water pump issues causing coolant and engine oil to mix and all the madness associated with that. Doesn't effect the RWD version of this engine for what ever reason.

I do love the look of the late model Exploders. I could never justify the cost of one. Ever.

Does not effect F150 ?
Regardless - mine will be 3 years old in Sept - and has never seen a dealership since we drove off the lot ...
(has zero issues.)

Originally Posted By: JTK
I've read of a few horror stories of the front wheel drive based Ecoboost 3.5L having water pump issues causing coolant and engine oil to mix and all the madness associated with that. Doesn't effect the RWD version of this engine for what ever reason.

Due to the packaging constraints all Ford 3.5/3.7L engines have the water pump driven off the timing chain. Supposedly the weep hole is supposed to divert coolant out the timing chain cover in the event of an issue. The RWD version has the room to use an externally mounted pump.

Not sure how widespread it is given how many 3.5/3.7 engines are in service.

Thanks for implying I wasn't being truthful, though...

I was saying that your statement was inaccurate (not true)... as far as an ad hominem claim that you "lied", well that was never implied. So, take it as you like. Now about that "implied part", I will make it explicit then. Either you knowingly passing along inaccurate information or you are misinformed or ignorant of the LE fleet world... your choice. Your claim about the PI Utility is not accurate when taking in the LE vehicle environment as a whole. The Ford products are, perhaps, the best of the offerings in the US. Definitely the more reliable offering. The Caprice might be the only rival but they are much less common mostly because the Impala ruined GM reputation. I personally do not care for Ford product, I would rather have GM fleet vehicle as a whole with the exception of the LE vehicle offerings.

It most certainly is true with a PD that is local to my home. Lots of issues that are drivetrain related. Officers that are friends of mine have stated that they are not abused, and are generally handled gingerly, because having them out of service for repair so often, isn't conducive to public safety.

The only LE vehicles that are not used hard/abused tend to be "personal" LE vehicles, those that are used by Sheriffs or Chiefs as like a company/personal commuter car. Even that is not a guaranteed "easy life". Those vehicle are just "easier" lived than others. Sometimes those deputy vehicles serving papers can be half-way decent.

As for patrol and supervisor vehicles, marked or unmarked/uncaged... those vehicles are always driven hard (beaten within a millimeter of their lifestyle). Idle or hard use, if you have an officer that they are "not abused", ask the fleet manager (someone like me) or a lead mechanic. We operate under severe maintenance intervals and we can still burn through a vehicle (regardless of make) in 80K. HWP can get more miles, but our in-town vehicles log the same hours, just fewer miles. I will almost guarantee that they will say the opposite. Actually, almost all fleet folks will tell you that people do drive fleet vehicles hard, LE or otherwise. Calling any LE vehicle's use as "gingerly" is nearly absurd. That would be a red-flag warning that the person who says this is not truthful or they are misinformed/ignorant.

If you have specific "drivetrain" issues, please be specific. I would gladly share some insight if I can.

As for the PI Utility, the drivetrain is not as bad as say, the Charger Pursiut. There are a few known trouble spots with the shifters (normally related to someone slamming it from drive/reverse into park and then having a delay), tranny and drivetrain are good considering they different from your normal offering. (these are not tuned/programed like you civilian tranny offerings), and the rear suspension. A few other throttle related issues lurk. Still, compare this to the Charger's timing, electrical, and overall durability woes and the Impala's steering, transmission, cooling, suspension, brakes, etc woes, and the Explorer-platform and the PI Interceptor are "robust".

With my LE vehicle in my fleet, the PIU or "explorers" are only behind the PI sedans in their durability. I have issued mostly with water-tightness (actually the sedans tend to hold water) with the Taurus related vehicles. Still, the "explorers" are in the shop more for body damage than they are in for mechanical related items.

"Out of service" for repairs impacting "public safety" is never a real concern unless you have some truly mismanaged assets. They tend get fixed right or replaced. Heck, I had an Impala replaced mostly because the power steering and coolant kept leaking and it was a "concern" that there was fluid dripping. Sure it was near the end of the lifecycle for an early refresh for whatever reason is welcome. I get repair authorization and acquisitions for LE vehicles done immediately. I even get ahead-of-schedule maintenance done, especially in the tire dept. Compare this to some other fleet vehicles, you would know that LE vehicles "special" for the most part... and they are done right. Our only hold-ups are when Ford delays a part or something or that once we get to a repair shop and realize that the officer did not remove the rifle from the vehicle and we have to drive back to the office for property control. Most places get itchy if plain-clothed non-sworn individuals start pulling out rifles/shotguns from a vehicle in a parking lot.

If it gets closed so be it. I won't stand for someone that is COMPLETELY ignorant of a situation calling me a liar.

Like many - this thread took some "side roads" - and to some extent gives rise to the question wrt vehicles that double with LEO variants - the majority of vehicles don't have to take this abuse and resultant criticism - and what percentage here buy for LEA's anyway ...?

Not that I'm in the market for an Explorer, but I rather like the look of them. If I was looking at one in XLT trim, call me crazy but I'd much prefer the 2.3L EcoBoost engine over the base 3.5L.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Not that I'm in the market for an Explorer, but I rather like the look of them. If I was looking at one in XLT trim, call me crazy but I'd much prefer the 2.3L EcoBoost engine over the base 3.5L.

My non LE Explorers, mechanically speaking, has been fantastic. Looking at my vehicle board, we have a 2015 with 73,000 trouble-free miles. A few minor recalls but it has been a good vehicle so far.

Now, YOU ARE CRAZY!
smile.gif
No, the 2.3 is a legit choice... it is just a less well know application.

I am personally a fan of the 3.5/3.7 NA engines. I have them in several of my vehicles and not had a engine related issue. These include law-enforcement, general use fleet vehicle and mobility-related transit vehicles. We have a Special Service Taurus (an Taurus-based "interceptor") with the 2.3 Ecoboost. Jury is still out on that vehicle. For an explorer... I don't know if I would prefer the 2.3. It is a great engine but in a 4,400+ lbs SUV to ling around would push me into a larger engine and especially a NA engine.

On a side note, I sent my maintenance queen "Impala" LE into the shop with throttle surging issues today. Likely a vac leak somewhere or maybe fuel pressure regulator but we will see. Hey, it has been like 3-4 weeks since the last issue... I think I have only sent in one of my LE explorers in so far this year (transmission locking issue) or things that are not PM items.

We have a few in the family, and everyone who has one likes them. We've got one out over 150,000 miles with very, very little in the way of repairs other than the usual consumables.

As far as the LE usage goes, my former employer went to them as a replacement for the all the Crown Vics in the fleet. To date, no regrets with the choice. Still buying new ones every year and no need to look elsewhere. They have been a good replacement for the Vics.

Local LE has made the same decision, but with Utilities and Interceptors mixed. They tried the Dodge LE vehicles, but the officers disliked them (visibility out of them was the big complaint), and the maintenance costs were higher for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back