Energy Efficiency Report from my Utility ... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoked the neighbors on energy efficiency last month
laugh.gif

Thank you Valued Customer for leaving more grid capacity available for the thousands of high-powered, phased-array antenna farms.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I bet the neighbors got the same report saying they were most efficient.

Makes me wonder if it's a trick, to get us to use more when it's best for the utility. "Maybe I'm too stingy/conservative with our use and can afford to use a little more. [cranks the A/C down to 60F!]"

I'm told I'm way more efficient, too. We do live in a 950 ft^2 condo, within a larger neighborhood full of small single-family homes, and we do have LEDs throughout and gas heat and stove, but we also keep filters going all day and night, and our window A/C units are set between 68 and 70F. We don't go out of way to save energy. Maybe we really are more efficient than we thought. Maybe we're all being efficient and the efficiency percentages don't really equate to a large difference in kW-hr usage.

Everyone in our area got "on-board" the savings to the tune of about 25% overall. The result was an increase in rates do to a lack of receipts for the utility.

No good deed goes unpunished!

Smoky

Mine says I used 67% more energy than similar homes. It's 116 outside right now.

A/C guy is coming out next week.

I have a 1950's capecod with central air and a window unit in the finished attic (office) it has knee walls and superheated roof air on 3 sides.

Also I am not particularly efficient. Doing hot water laundry, have electric hot water tank (hybrid), keep the central air on 70-73, and the window unit runs about 8-14 hours a day in the summer(compressor) and fan 24hr/day.

Also have electric stove, use a dishwasher with added heat/steam/sanitize settings all on.
And electric dryer. I also have to run 2 small fans 24/7 and a radon 60w fan.

Sometimes I run the furnace blower during certain weather conditions to help keep the house equalized (basement 58f, main floor 70f, upstairs 85f)

Energy usage report: Keep in mind its all a month behind june 16 is usage from 5/10 to 6/10

Next up project, figure out a way to plumb in an attic fan to suck out the air from my combo roof

combo roof is the front 66% of house and has a 3'x4.5' hole leading to the lower roof which covers the breezeway and attached garage all of which super heat the air.

Looking at this:
https://quietcoolsystems.com/products/specialty-fans/attic-gable-fans/

has an automatic 10 speed thermostat
AFG SMT-3.0
Airflow*:
2830 CFM on high / 963 CFM on low
Energy Efficiency:
145 Watts on high / 15 watts on low

I get the same sort of thing from our company (Pepco), we're always a good 20% more than the comps. Gas heat/hot water/range.

1) I'm not really sure the comps are comparable. We live in a 2400 square foot townhouse in a neighborhood where places range from 1200-2400.
2) We set the AC at 76 during the day, drop it to 74 at bedtime, then again to 71 at about 1 am. Modern fridge, typical laundry machine, mostly LED and CFL lighting.

2 adults and 3 kids. I think our HVAC settings and other usage are reasonably efficient but what do I know
21.gif

jeff

We don't get that from the electric company, but we do with the natural gas company.

We always do well in the winter - we keep our house cooler and have a programmable thermostat with a big drop back during the day and night. Summer time we always look bad on the gas report - but since we water heat with gas, cook with gas, and dry clothes with gas, that isn't a surprise next to our neighbors who use electricity for some or all of these...

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Good job. It must be hot and miserable at your home.

Nope. Got a dual zone Rheem high efficiency central air / gas furnace HVAC rockin' a 2100 sq ft 1.5 story w/ 2x4 walls sitting on a crawl space, the usual recent build (2005), wrapped in tyvek then brick veneer 1st level upper half vinyl, 50 gal gas water heater. Attic is typical gravity venting with vent piece running length at peak, and normal soffits at the overhangs.

Thermostat goes to 76F while at work, down to 74 when get home and for the night. Winter it's set at 66 while at work and up to 69 when get home.

This with a full sized freezer in my basement that I found on the side of the road, new-ish fridge, well pump, and all LED lighting. Last summer had a few window AC units, 5000 BTU cheapies.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
... and once everyone starts conserving, the same utilities will be crying about reduced profits and will jack up the price. Besides, why should we conserve when the plan is to go solar and wind? In fact we should be encouraged to use more.

Utilities are heavily regulated and they can only make a certain amount of profit. If they make too much money, they have to send customers a refund. If they don't make enough money, the government covers their losses. So there is no incentive to encourage customers to use tons of electricity. The utility will not make more money as a result of more electric usage. If people do use too much electricity, all that means is a potentially overloaded system, burned up transformers, and the need to spend money to make upgrades to handle increased power demands. So the utility has incentive to encourage people to conserve energy, and no incentive for people to use more energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back