Fram TG vs Ultra: engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running an XG3600 on my Jeep for a while . I, too have the 3.7 engine. Never had an issue so that eliminates the compatibility issue. Possibly a "bad" batch that made it through?

If it was me, I would swap out the filter for another XG and see what happens. Consider it a learning lesson for you and others that may come upon this thread......
Just saying..........

Last edited:
I just had this problem with a Wix/Affinia made CQ Blue on the 4.6 in my sig-if it sat for more than a couple days I would get a distinct bottom end noise for 2-3 seconds after start up, deeper sounding than a rod knock, actually sounded like a main bearing. Swapped on an XG2 Ultra, topped off the Magnatec 5W20 (didn't change it), the noise has disappeared. After you change the filter, see if the ADBV is working-if it doesn't, Jay Buckley (motorking) might be interested in looking at it, maybe something went wrong internally.

I'm going to swap it this weekend, I'll either get the Supertech or a TG (since that's known to be good with past experience).

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I think Walmart also had the Mopar one...think that could be a safe bet to try?

They used to be well-made, but I've read recently (over the last couple years, actually) they just aren't that great anymore.

Add me to the swap the filter list. Try what worked in the past, see what happens. If you still hear noise, and you're using the same brand/grade of oil as you did before you might have a problem.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
People that think they can hear new oil are literally insane.

That's stupid. I could clearly hear more chain noise in my BMW with Mobil 1 versus Castrol.

Castrol is quieter in my VW too. No start up chain rattle that the 4.2 is famous for. You could hear it clearly with Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

That's stupid. I could clearly hear more chain noise in my BMW with Mobil 1 versus Castrol.

Castrol is quieter in my VW too. No start up chain rattle that the 4.2 is famous for. You could hear it clearly with Mobil 1.

I've given up on posts like this.

Clearly, they've never experienced it so they think it's false.. That's not necessarily the right way to think through life, but it's the reality for many so it is what it is.

I would give it at least 1000 miles before deciding to change filter. If at 1k mile mark you still hear noise, than id change the filter.

Put on a Wix 51516 and it seems a lot better. Goes away now after less than a minute.

Thanks everyone so much for the help...I really do appreciate it. I'll keep this thread updated if any of y'all are interested.
smile.gif

That's good to hear. I have a jug of 10w30 Castrol Edge Gold ready to go in the Matrix very soon.

You can easily tell the difference in sound between new and old oil, but I've never, ever noticed any difference between new Castrol and new M1 in my old BMW. I don't use M1 anymore since the loss of Longlife-01, but prior to that I switched between the two based on what was cheaper at Walmart. I've never understood how anyone can make a quantitative discernment between a new oil and what the previous new oil sounded like. Your memory has to be better than mine, I can't remember sound amplitude that far back. I can only compare it to what it sounded like just prior to changing the oil, and for me in that case the new oil always sounds quieter regardless of brand.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday much less details of what an oil sounded like 8500+ miles ago.

Did an oil change on my Liberty last Friday and have since noticed a slight bottom end knock upon startup. Not the usual start up rattle thing that happens if it sits for a few days. Can be warm or cold. Goes away after I assume full oil pressure is reached.

Put on a Wix 51516 and it seems a lot better. Goes away now after less than a minute.

Sounds like a leaky ADBV issue. Do you get the same noise after doing the initial start-up after an oil and filter change?

I would think the engine would obtain full oil pressure in less than minute, so has anything really changed beside maybe some placebo effect?
21.gif
Give it some time with the swapped out WIX and see.

It's different than noise. Not really sure how to describe it, deeper in tone.

Of course, I still think there's a pretty good chance I'm just picking up on something that has always been there. Before I joined the forum, if it started and moved and no idiot lights, I never gave anything a second thought. Just starting to tune into these things!

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You can easily tell the difference in sound between new and old oil, but I've never, ever noticed any difference between new Castrol and new M1 in my old BMW. I don't use M1 anymore since the loss of Longlife-01, but prior to that I switched between the two based on what was cheaper at Walmart. I've never understood how anyone can make a quantitative discernment between a new oil and what the previous new oil sounded like. Your memory has to be better than mine, I can't remember sound amplitude that far back. I can only compare it to what it sounded like just prior to changing the oil, and for me in that case the new oil always sounds quieter regardless of brand.

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday much less details of what an oil sounded like 8500+ miles ago.

The change for me was having a quiet engine and deciding to try Mobil 1, then wondering where all the chain noise came from. Switching back to Castrol chilled it out.

It's different than noise. Not really sure how to describe it, deeper in tone.

Of course, I still think there's a pretty good chance I'm just picking up on something that has always been there. Before I joined the forum, if it started and moved and no idiot lights, I never gave anything a second thought. Just starting to tune into these things!

Now, you know that it wasn't Fram Ultra that was causing some unusually sounding (to you) engine noise between fresh vs. used oil and/or paying attention to noises or not paying attention no noises.

It's too bad that you've downgraded from arguably the world's best full-flow oil filter to a mediocre one. Better oil filtration does make a difference.

It's also good that Fram Ultra has been cleared. We still haven't seen a bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back