How to copy video files from sd card to ipad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a usb adapter for the ipad that allows me to access files on an sd card and play them, but how can I copy the files to the ipad's internal drive?

Ipad is not jailbroken.

These are huge video files (several GB), so I'd rather not go through the process of having to upload them to the cloud and then pull them back. Does Apple not believe in a simple file copy operation?

*disclaimer* I do not own an apple device, and have no experience with them, or their software *disclaimer*

that being said, can you not put them on your pc(or mac whatever), plug your ipad into said same device, and copy them over from itunes? this would probably involve "importing" them into itunes or some such....

iTunes, if you don't want to u/l to something cloud-based like Dropbox then d/l them to the iPad.

I do t recall what Ive done, but it has been pretty seamless with high red photo and video from my D800.

Honestly I don't recall having to do anything...

Download an app called File Manager on your iPad from the App Store. With it installed, (it's been a while since I used it, but I think you don't even have to run the app, or at least you have to have it open on your iPad) you will be able to access iPad's memory like any other removable storage using windows. Plug in the SD card and iPad to your computer/laptop and copy/paste the files you want directly from the SD card to the iPad.
I've been using it for a while now and there is no need to use iTunes.

Last edited:
I use a Sandisk IXpand drive. USB on one end, Lighting on the other. I can play either directly from the drive, or copy from the drive to one of a few apps on the iPad. Easy to copy video to the images store and watch them through the photo app.

Other than stuff like that, they do tend to make it difficult. Alternatively I can mount the iPad drive on my laptop and access either the root or the app folders using libimobiledevice. Apparently there is a pre-compiled version available for Windows and OSX. Might be worth a look.

I do a lot of stuff with Goodreader, but I also use VLC for video on the go. libimobiledevice allows me to mount either app dirs as a local directory and I can copy to and from it using any filesystem tools on my laptop.

I've found the Sandisk IXpand to be a neat little hack though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back