Oil Selection Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your drain plug comes with a little o-ring on the face. I keep an assortment of copper washers that fit various sizes of threads and put one between the plug and the pan instead of O-rings or nylon washers.
If you buy your AC Delco parts at the Chevy store, it comes with a free coffee and a chance to kick some tires.

the correct AcDelco oil filter for your truck is the PF63E, Napa Gold 7045, or the Fram Ultra XG10575, along with many others. the drain plug torque is 18 ft lbs, same as the old 4.8 and 5.3 Vortec and many other GM vehicles. you dont need to change the o-ring on the plug. My buddies '11 Chevy 1500 4.8 has the original drain plug and o-ring, 134k miles, I torque it to 18 ft lbs every oil change and it has never leaked or become brittle. You can buy the AcDelco and Fram Ultra filter at Wal Mart, along with the Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 oil.

Last edited:
I wonder how much it cost GM to come up with an O-ring oil pan drain bolt instead of sticking with 10 cent copper washers that works better?
Personally I have never used a torque wrench on an oil pan drain bolt. How did they come up with 18 lbs. as being the correct amount of twist?

$2.54 for a 16 cent O-ring that costs 5 cents to make is still a rip-off. As mentioned above, the stock O-ring will last a long time. I just like the way copper washers squeak to a stop when tightening and cost less than a dollar. The stock bolt/O-ring needs a crack to undo it.
The easy to remove the filter is with a 3/8 drive & extension, and one of those steel cone things that fit over the filter. Easy to over tighten the filters with that set up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back