2017 BMW x3 loaner experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a chance to take home a new BMW X3 for the night from the BMW dealer. So I wanted to share my thoughts about this car.
It was white with a beige and black interior. Sticker was $47,595. Came with the 4 cylinder turbo engine.

Hits:
Handling -
This car has a mature and well-developed platform. The handling and road feel is superb. Very sure-footed in all conditions; the steering is responsive and perfectly weighted. The steering wheel had a strong tendency to return to center. This is a trick of alignment and suspension geometry, I believe. This SUV handled like a sporty car.
Performance - The motor never seemed to be at a loss for power. Its turbo is perfectly matched to the motor and never lagged. The 'sport' mode is more than window dressing - it actually really sharpens the car's responses, increases revs, and transforms the nature of the vehicle from luxury cruiser to motorsport contender.
Brakes - Sensitive brake pedal, easily modulated, very little mush.
Interior - Very comfortable seats. Excellent dual zone climate control. Infotainment system is well evolved and intuitive, although I still pine for the CarPlay experience I had with the 2018 Chevrolet Cruze rental I had from National Rent-A-Car. Interior trim was high quality. No rattles or noises were perceived, even in bumpy roads.
NVH - Road noise was minimal. Engine was well damped and very little vibration was transmitted to the steering wheel.

Misses:
Fuel economy -
This model returned mid-20s in daily driving. In coast-down testing, the car slowed much more noticeably than others in the segment. BMW might rectify this by updating the motor's valve timing and lift to open the valves when coasting, to minimize pumping losses in deceleration. A 2017 320i I drove earlier had outstanding coast-down characteristics where it felt like it was in neutral while coasting. I wish BMW would apply that engineering to the X3 model. They seem to share the same engine family.
Price - $47,595 is a lot of money. This is a great vehicle, but at what cost?
Blind spot - This was pretty annoying. While the car I drove had a very nice radar sensor system that tracked nearby objects for collision avoidance, I found myself at a loss when changing lanes on the highway. The rear pillars are extremely thick, the windowsills are very tall, and the rear window is narrow. My view of drivers in the blind spot area was severely limited, no matter how diligently I looked over my shoulder. The rearview mirrors are good but I like to see things with my own eyes.
Age - This model has been out for a long time and I think that it will be refreshed next year or the year after that. While BMW has perfected this model after years of small updates, it will become obsolete or 'last-generation' soon when the next series is rolled out.

Overall, I think this car is worth it if you can get it at a good, steep discount. It is a fantastic driver, it is well-built, and with the right option packages it is very nicely appointed.

Special note: This model was built in Spartanburg, SC. My mother's X3 was built in Germany. Comparing the build quality between the two models, I think that the American model is slightly better built. This makes me immensely proud. American manufacturing is awesome when the workers are empowered to make great products.

I look forward to the comments!

Just wondering. If you only had it for the night, how can you tell it is sure footed in all conditions? What conditions did you experience?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Just wondering. If you only had it for the night, how can you tell it is sure footed in all conditions? What conditions did you experience?
Heavy rain, uphill driving, switchbacks, city and highway commuting. I drove it quite a bit. Edit: it was the all-wheel drive 'xDrive' model.

I'm guessing the AWD system is a reason for the poor FE. I like the X3 myself and would perhaps consider the I4 diesel variant one day.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I'm guessing the AWD system is a reason for the poor FE. I like the X3 myself and would perhaps consider the I4 diesel variant one day.

I drove a 320 xDrive with the BMW AWD system and it coasted in drive like it was in neutral. Maybe the X3 engages more of the drivetrain full-time, resulting in the parasitic drag losses.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Some folk like their 4x4's to slow when the lift their foot ...
Point taken, but if the slowdown energy isn't utilized or recaptured in any way, then you might feel wistful on account of the waste. I drive an i3 daily. I typically do '1 pedal' driving with it. That is to say, the first half of the pedal travel is effectively a brake, the exact middle is 'coast', then after that there is acceleration. So I know exactly what you're talking about. But since the X3 doesn't have a hybrid engine (yet, the 2018 model will have a hybrid option) then I think that the drivetrain engagement on the highway causing deceleration is indicative of wasteful vacuum pumping, all drive wheels engaged, transmission whirring deceleration.

One thing I'd like to add to the thread is that I don't repost/cross-post my reviews on other forums. My reviews are BITOG-only. Some people spam their articles or original content across a bunch of forums and try to come off as sincere. I hate that. Whatever I post here belongs to Helen and the site owners.

If you put the X3-or any new automatic BMW-in Eco Pro mode it will coast in neutral down to @15 mph. The new G01 X3 will be officially unveiled at 9:30 Monday at the BMW Manufacturing plant in SC. The big news(for me at any rate) is that there will be an X3 M40i as well as an X3 M. Also of interest is the upcoming PHEV iPerformance model as well as a rumored EV version.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
All BMW suvs are built in Spartanburg, SC. There is a large factory there.

The lone exception is the first-generation E83 X3, which was made by Steyr in Austria (not counting the secondary CKD assembled units in a few other countries).

An all-electric version of the new X3 (and MINI) are going to spearhead BMW's mainstream (not i niche) electric efforts.

The 1st gen X3 was made in Austria. My mistake. I saw the W in the VIN number of my mother's X3 and assumed it was Germany.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

The lone exception is the first-generation E83 X3, which was made by Steyr in Austria (not counting the secondary CKD assembled units in a few other countries).

An all-electric version of the new X3 (and MINI) are going to spearhead BMW's mainstream (not i niche) electric efforts.

I was mistaken. I recently moved to the area and was told by a local that all BMW suvs worldwide are made here.

Learn something new every day!

The F48 X1 is not built in the BMW Manufacturing plant at Greer. US X1s come from either the Regensburg plant or the Araquari plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back