10k on a Wix 57356, and it has lots of issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
96 I30 (Maxima), the car has about 270k on it now. My OCI was about 10k, the time interval was about 9 months, and the oil used was Belgian Castrol Edge 0w30, a BITOG favorite and popular on VQ Nissans. I had 4 quarts of this oil and a bottle of ATP AT-205, and it only lost about a half quart of oil over the 10k. My engine is very clean.

The filter was made on April 9, 2016. There were some problems with this Wix. First, the media cartridge itself is so small! And the media felt kinda hard, too, and tore easily when I pressed my finger on it. The ADBV also tore, although not as bad as a Purolator Synthetic ADBV. The pleats nearest the seam started to buckle also.

I replaced it with another Wix 57356 and used the same oil. 4 quarts of BC 0w30 and a can of Motor Oil Saver.

But for the 57356 applications, perhaps you're better off with Fram. Their 7317-size filters seem to have about twice the media as Wix's 57356.

Here are the images

I cut a Napa Gold 7356 a couple of months ago and it came out perfectly fine. It also did a 10K mi interval.

Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
Where do you get the BC Castrol 0w30?
Why add the Motor Oil Saver?

You have my curiosity, hah

I got the BC at Pep Boys a few months ago when they had their founders day sale with a rebate that made it under $20 after rebate. I got two deals' worth (10 quarts) because the rebate limit was two, and because I heard Castrol was going to stop selling it in the US, so I got two sets of 5 quarts, got it while I still could
smile.gif

I added the motor oil saver because the car is old and has high miles, so I thought adding it would help stop or minimize leaks and consumption. I replaced the valve cover gaskets about a year ago, but I still want to minimize the chance of any oil loss, especially since I might not be able to obtain the BC again!

The car takes 4.2 qt, so rather than waste the last quart, partially open the bottle, the motor oil saver also helps complete that gap. The remaining quart is in the trunk in case I need it.

Yeah that could be better... The 57356 does not use a combo valve right??? I am rather sure it doesn't. But I am asking you because you know your stuff.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah that could be better... The 57356 does not use a combo valve right??? I am rather sure it doesn't. But I am asking you because you know your stuff.

correct, no combo valve for the 57356. The bypass is separate from the ADBV. The bypass is between the ADBV and the media cartridge shown in this pic:
full-20296-9170-img_20170624_183643541.jpg

full-20296-9174-img_20170624_183731138.jpg

I think only the cheap low-tier economy lines use the combo valve (Pro-Tec, Napa Silver/Proselect, Super Tech, Microgard, etc)

Only downside to that style bypass is it takes away from the media space, making it even shorter, contributing to the issues seen here, although it doesn't look that bad.

The filter element with the adbv is put on the baseplate by machine probably. There is a video showing that process from another maker. So it probably dropped on the base a little cockeyed and the rubber got cut when it was pressed and crimped together. Luck of the draw it seems. Or new owners trying to boost efficiency? To me the filter element looks past due for changing. It's lucky the pieces of rubber stuck to the base weren't on the other side of the hole and the pieces would have gone into the oil galleries.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I think the filters condition is more of a result from your old engine and an extremely long OCI.

I used a top-tier A3/B4 synthetic and drove at least half the miles on the highway, over 20 miles one-way, and the engine is clean. 10k should not be a problem. The 10k miles were put on in 9 months.

These pics were taken about a year ago when I replaced the valve cover gaskets:

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The filter element with the adbv is put on the baseplate by machine probably. There is a video showing that process from another maker. So it probably dropped on the base a little cockeyed and the rubber got cut when it was pressed and crimped together. Luck of the draw it seems. Or new owners trying to boost efficiency? To me the filter element looks past due for changing. It's lucky the pieces of rubber stuck to the base weren't on the other side of the hole and the pieces would have gone into the oil galleries.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
I think the filters condition is more of a result from your old engine and an extremely long OCI.

Both goodtimes and FastLane make good points. The filter was due to be changed and this is what is causing the media to begin collapsing. The only manufacturing defect is the ADBV. A UOA would shed some light on what is going on. If it was my vehicle, I would shorten the OCI or get a filter with more capacity.

If I still have the car next year when it's time to change the oil, I'm using a Fram Ultra! I really, really regret not using it this time! The Wix XP would've also been on my list, but it will have the same dinky size media as the regular Wix.

Pretty pictures of valve covers don't mean the engine is in great shape just that the oil is doing its job. Im sure you have some blow by with that mileage and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back