Fix for tail pipe cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When doing my biennial brake fluid flush, I was surprised to find a hole developed where the tailpipe joins the muffler body. I am under the car much more frequently than very two years doing maintenance or inspections, but I never noticed this developing to this degree before. The rest of the exhaust from the header back is pretty darn clean. This is an 02 Lexus ES. In our climate, rust is a non-issue and this is the only spot. Seems like an obvious condensation trap there.

I have searched quite a bit on exhaust repair techniques but I can't find something I see working in that angle. The material around the hole itself is brittle and you can poke it and flake it away. I imagine it would need to be a putty or paste of some type initially to form and adhere. Also, the pipe is quite corroded and I think if I used a wire brush on a drill to clean it up it might erode it away.

So I was wondering if there was an inexpensive way to patch it that would last vs buying a new one? If a patch would only last a year or two, it's certainly not worth the effort vs. replacing it.

You can call some area muffler shops and ask them how much for a new muffler with tailpipe installed. Then ask what brand they use. Should be around $120-160. You can wait till it starts to get louder, may last another year or so.

Last edited:
So if the replacement doesn't have one, should I drill one? (drain hole).

Between Bosal and Walker, which appear to be the two widely available choices, is one superior to the other?

I see that I can get one or the other for about $150 and I can install it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
So if the replacement doesn't have one, should I drill one? (drain hole).

Between Bosal and Walker, which appear to be the two widely available choices, is one superior to the other?

I see that I can get one or the other for about $150 and I can install it.
exhaust work is one thing I will not do. Rust in your eye,dirty etc to save $35

Originally Posted By: CT8
See what a factory replacement pipe costs before doing anything.

They were $360+ shipping at the best price I could find. A super-clean take-off from a Texas or other dry-region wreck is not unacceptable to me. I will also shop for one, now realizing I can drill a drain and make it last longer. This is the only muffler I've had to replace on any vehicle living in the PNW given the mild climate/no salt. Even though it has high mileage, it runs great and looks good. Probably the car will stay around in use and then go to a child in three years when they start driving.

Looks like aluminized muffler (good) but plain steel pipe (bad) ... Make sure the new one is aluminized all the way back
smile.gif

Get the sawsall out cut out and replace muffler and tail pipe. Any less is a temporary rig job.

No fixin a muffler like that, it's where most fall apart. Check Rock Auto. Great prices just make sure everything comes from the same warehouse or shipping stacks up.

The pipe on forward doesn't look too great either.

The standard fix is a new muffler with a slip fit inlet you can clamp down on the "good" pipe. But your pipe doesn't look that great.

Sawzall the old muffler off.

There's no putty for this as it's a stress point/ balance point for the exhaust.

MY friend had an 07 Corolla. A few years ago the cat pipe rusted out, and it was a bit out of emissions warranty. She went ahead and had it replaced for $1500, the option was the aftermarket cat that will be gone in a few years in the salt. Seems Toyota don't use quality steel in their exhaust.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Dont drill a drain hole unless you know in advance that the inspection station you take it to will not flunk it because of having a hole.

Is that something you've seen before or something you thought of? Most OEMs mufflers have one from the factory, but I suppose it is possible (in the sense that everything is possible) for some inspector to notice a < 1/4 inch hole and take an issue with it- crazier things have happened.

My state inspection handbook says obvious drain holes aren't flunk-worthy. Hopefully PA is as pragmatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back