Some progress on my 62 Renault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Closer.

left-front-painted.jpg

I really forgot to update this. I've gotten back to Tarija a few times, although not enough since this update.

When I finally got back to Tarija I got going on the assembly. Good to have the car at home where I can work on it a few hours at a time, as time permits.
First I set out to restore and assemble the steering column controls (bought used), steering wheel, and dash parts.
sanding-polishing-controls.jpg

controls-polished.jpg

steering-wheel patched.jpg

painting-steering-wheel.jpg

cluster_assembled.jpg

radio_installed.jpg

Then time to assemble the bumpers and align them, making a new joint cover from stainless steel.
bumpers-lights-in-place.jpg

rear-bumper.jpg

making-stainlees-bumper-trim.jpg

bumper-trim.jpg

One of the side vents that I bought "restored" did not meet my standards, so I sanded it and polished it.
vent-before-sanding.jpg

fender-vent-polished.jpg

Also went through the inside, painting everything with an anti-corrosive and then covering with Fatmat for sound absorbance.

bare-front-floor.jpg

bare-rear.jpg

installing-Fatmat-rear.jpg

installing-Fatmat-front.jpg

Fatmat-on-floor-and-rear.jpg

doors-painted-anticorrosive.jpg

Fatmat-on-doors.jpg

covered-in-Fatmat.jpg

Then filled the sprayer anti-corrosive and then with undercoating, taking care of the undercarriage.
undercoated.jpg

Turning to the electrical, the wiper arm pivots were stuck, so had to be taken apart and cleaned, lubed, etc.
wiper-restoration.jpg

For the wiring I ripped out everything and started over with an assortment of wires and terminals from my local electrical supply store and a nice panel from Racers Inc that included the relays, fuses, and about everything in one place.
old_wiring.jpg

electrical_box.jpg

continuing

With the wires run I installed the radiator and it's side panels that divide the engine from the firewall, discovering a couple of small cracks in one of the supports, so a little welding was in order, then the install with the new spout that I had to correct rom manufacturing defects.
radiator-filler-neck.jpg

cracks-radiator-support.jpg

installing_hoses.jpg

Then I remembered I had done nothing with my gas tank, so cut the bottom part off and fabbed a new bottom out of an old fender from the body shop, cleaning everything up with phosphoric acid and sealing it inside with epoxy.
new_tank_bottom.jpg

gas_tank_sealed.jpg

I'd like to say it is running, but I found that my supposedly rebuild starter was not rebuilt, so it is being rebuilt. I leave you with some pics of the engine compartment before and after.
engine-right_before.jpg

engine_right_side.jpg

engine-left_before.jpg

engine_left_side.jpg

engine_rear.jpg

I really appreciate someone who is into cars as a passion, not money. The US is overrun with the "classic/collector car flipping fad", as advertised on numerous terrible TV shows. Unfortunately my dad seems to subscribe to this fad. Cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, not pawned like a cheap prostitute. Keep the passion alive widman.

Another update.
Managed to steal away for 4 afternoons this month, and got a little more done. Since it has been 5 years since I rebuild the power train, and the clutch material was lousy, it absorbed moisture and rusted to the pressure plate and flywheel, so had to pull it and resurface, replacing the facing.

Anyway, it runs as long as the new fuel pump will let it. I'll be buying an Airtex like I have in the Corvair when in the states next month, then finish up. (mostly still missing is the upholstery.

Here is how it stands today.

1962_renault-dauphine_right-side.jpg

1962_renault-dauphine_right-front.jpg

1962_renault-dauphine-front.jpg

1962 renault-dauphine_left-side.jpg

1962_renault-dauphine-rear.jpg

1962_renalut-dauphine-left-front.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back