2017 Camry Make Sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get what you want. If that is a Camry, go for it. If it were me I wouldn't purchase it, even with money on the hood. But I'm not you, so perhaps the cost/benefit ratio is there for you.

If you are trying to talk yourself into a Camry because your head is saying yes and your heart is saying no, then don't do it. Life's too short to drive something that you are completely ambivalent about.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and for the info on the 2018. I may find out the dealers won't honor the USAA/TrueCar price they quote because of financing scams (like the VW Jetta I tried to buy last year) and add-ons they try and slip in. Will keep you updated.

Oh, I agree on black being one of the most spectacular colors. Just not practical for Vegas - you can't give away a black car there.

My neighbor just got a new one, an SE in the ruby red color. He leases them for 3 years. His old one, a white SE with 35k miles is now available. It is certified, new tires, brake pads and rotors per the Carfax and listed for $15k. Prob get it for $14k.

If you can get the 2017 Camry LE or SE for those prices minus the $3,000 rebate, you won't find a better value in any other make or model. The Toyota dealers will be dealing aggressively on the 17's as the 18's are getting ready to be received. If you sell the Silverado 4x4, sell it privately instead of trading it. You'll do so much better.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I'd be willing to get rid of 2 or 3 current vehicles to justify the purchase.

Wow, you really want a Toyota Camry. If that's so, why not just get it? I personally wouldn't give a red cent to Toyota motor for various reasons, but you seem to really be sold on it. Why think twice?

I wouldnt hesitate at that price. The 4 cylinder isnt slow, I find it okay, sure its not a V6 but it accelerates well enough.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
I'd be willing to get rid of 2 or 3 current vehicles to justify the purchase.

Wow, you really want a Toyota Camry. If that's so, why not just get it? I personally wouldn't give a red cent to Toyota motor for various reasons, but you seem to really be sold on it. Why think twice?

Not really, I just need to sell some vehicles.

The price I quoted includes rebates.

Toyotas really aren't THAT boring to drive, even if they are, so what?

I'm 2,000 miles into a 5,000 mile road trip right now in a 2016 Toyota Avalon with the 3.5L V6. This thing HAULS [censored] it's the fastest car I've ever driven by far, I honestly couldn't ask it to be any faster, it's all it needs. It's silky smooth and super quiet.

Toyota is usually the least discounted brand. I bet you can find similar deals on Hondas if you like them more.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dblshock
nothing like a new Toyota, go for the '18.

I doubt he'll get the same deal as with the 2017 model year.

2018 Camry will have lots of bugs.

Doubt it. No issues what so-ever with our 15' which was the first year of the re-design. They all share alot of the same architecture so to say. Would be no worries about the 18'.

Fuel mileage isn't that spectacular in the Camry. It's leveled out to about 30-31 overall in ours. I mean my GTI is constantly getting 34 and higher, making it the better road trip car...

Originally Posted By: Delta
Doubt it. No issues what so-ever with our 15' which was the first year of the re-design. They all share alot of the same architecture so to say. Would be no worries about the 18'.

Fuel mileage isn't that spectacular in the Camry. It's leveled out to about 30-31 overall in ours. I mean my GTI is constantly getting 34 and higher, making it the better road trip car...

To be fair, the 2016 Tacoma redesign has had quite a few issues. Its not beyond Toyota to have issues with a new model (as I thought it was before almost buying a Tacoma). Of course the Camry is probably one of their bread+butter models, so hopefully they pay more attention to it.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, and for the info on the 2018. I may find out the dealers won't honor the USAA/TrueCar price they quote because of financing scams (like the VW Jetta I tried to buy last year) and add-ons they try and slip in. Will keep you updated.

Dealers are wheeling and dealing these days if you live in an Uber-heavy area - but you'll also get suckered into a subprime car note. The Prius and Camry are popular with that crowd.

If you're a Costco member, have you tried their auto buying service or maybe talking to the internet sales manager? When I worked at a Honda dealer, many people bypassed the sales floor and gave the internet guy a call.

Originally Posted By: Delta

My dad used to be buy a new Camry every 5 years since 1992. Many of them were the first year of a new generation. A few very minor issues like a front suspension squeak that was covered under warranty. While the majority didn't have any problems.

Originally Posted By: SF0059

If you are trying to talk yourself into a Camry because your head is saying yes and your heart is saying no, then don't do it. Life's too short to drive something that you are completely ambivalent about.

These are wise words. Better to get something you actually like/want and will keep. Don't buy it just because it's a good deal. In a year or so you won't even remember the extra $4k. Id keep saving and eventually pay cash for a car you love.

Vehicles are ultimately no more than appliances. Doesn't matter what you buy.
All most over the age of thirty or so want in any vehicle is reliable and economical transportation.
A Camry will deliver this at a cheap price, as will a Fusion or Accord.
Right now, in this area, the Fusion leads on price at under 17K while the Camry is around 19K and Accords a little more costly.
Wait until October or so and '17 MY examples of any of these will be dirt cheap.
I'll probably buy a car between now and late fall and I'm starting to lean toward the Fusion. I'm not too sure about the DI CVT Accord and I loathe the silly and fiddly oil filter arrangement of the Camry.

Update. I have priced the '17 Camry SE model through USAA/TrueCar only, and haven't yet tried any negotiation. I've got two dealers at $18,7XX (one in Sacramento CA and one in Las Vegas), although I'm sure the Las Vegas one wants an added $500-$800 for additional dealer markup called a "doc fee". The best price I've been quoted was $18,0XX, including the CA state allowed max doc fee of $80 (Nevada has no limits, and the dealers here have used this to take advantage of consumers). The lowest price dealer would put their base Camry LE model at about $17.3k, making it very competitive with the Fusion. The salesman there has assured me there will be no problem getting quoted SE price, and bad financing plans or other scams aren't involved.

In the quote requests, I've used my home phone # that rarely gets answered, and done all communication through email, except for one enterprising salesman that managed to cross reference phone numbers and get my wife's cell phone #. She wasn't pleased. This salesman offered $4000 off of list price for a resultant $2k-$3k higher price than any other offer, then apparently didn't understand when I told him his price wasn't even close to being competitive. "But it's $4000 off of list price". I wasn't pleased. It's a dealership managed by a Brit ex soccer star that inundates the airwaves with ads, and apparently has to be uncompetitive to pay for them all.

Best case would be a new manual Accord for $17k, but I haven't found one at anything like that price. With an automatic transmission car, my wife might not speak to me for a week. If I showed up with a Ford other than a '57 T-Bird, I'd have to get used to sleeping in it. Other than the '57 she drove in high school, she has had pretty bad luck with Fords.

My father in law buys cars using truecar, and I don't think he ever got a good deal.

He is the type that does not like negotiating.

I think he paid carmax retail prices.

If you care about safety tech and such, both Camry and Accord are undergoing new model launches now/near future. Once the initial reliability is proven, they will be great choices.

This will also help making scorching deals on the last generation vehicle much easier.

I usually use TrueCar as a starting point to eliminate unreasonable dealers. The one time I went through with it about 6 years ago I was able to stack discounts and rebates to the point I got a much better price on a Chevy truck using TrueCar than using the GM employee discount. When replacing that truck 4 years ago, and attempting to do the same thing last year with the same dealer, TrueCar was worthless.

Before anyone yells at me for replacing vehicles too often, I usually keep them for around 20 years. The reason I started trading in Chevy trucks was the new discount was so much, I could drive them for 2-4 years with little or no depreciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back