Any decent second tier tires for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of General RT43's, if you want something a little sportier check out the General G-Max series tires. I believe they just came out with a new version AS-05 and they are avail in the 225/40/18 size you are looking at around $100 each. If you can get these with the $70 rebate that they had running that would be a sweat deal!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does that local shop own a Hunter roadforce balancer? Just in case your new set of tires also vibrate, and it ends up being an out-of-round issue, a Hunter machine will help confirm that, so that you can get a replacement.

That's what you should have done with your current set of Uniroyals, too. Most tire manufactures will cooperate if an out-of-round issue was confirmed with a Hunter machine, but you've got to catch it early.

They did road force them with a hunter machine said they looked ok..... very odd situation.

The techs argument was something to the effect of when the weight from the car he thought a belt was shifting causing a vibration but since it's impossible to show that it's not covered.

Last edited:
A 90-day swap seems good on paper, but IME the biggest difference between a good tire and a bad tire is how it acts below 50% tread.

Maxxis isn't the worst you could do, but...

Seriously, unless you're dead-set on getting a subpar tire for whatever reason, get that Dunlop I mentioned before it's gone. It's a high-end tire discounted below any big-name tire and even many budget tires.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So I may get some flack for this. But we have a very highly regarded tire shop one town over. Been there forever and has a solid reputation. I called them for a quote and I told them I'd like to stay around $500 give or take. What would you recommend without hesitation he said maxxis tires. I've heard they were darn good from others before but I was skeptical. He told me buy them and try them out and if in 90 days I don't like them he will sell me any name brand tire for the same cost. He specifically mentioned Goodyear and cooper. It does seem like he believes in the product which is a good sign. I'm going to give them a shot all I have to lose is time if it doesn't work out.

Sounds like a good deal. I'd give them a shot.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Any opinions on these?
Hankook Ventus V2 concept2

Hankook makes good tires, but that particular tire might not be right for you. It's a summer tire, not all-season, just keep that in mind if winter/snow traction is at all important, and you don't have a second set of tires for the winter.

But that V2 is also a performance tire, so it might actually ride worse than the tires you have on now. You will probably not like them.

The Ventus V2 is an Ultra High Performance all season tire that I currently have on the Matrix. I need new tires as well since they have 60k on them and are getting low. I've used them in winter but really had to slow down. They do ride hard so I'll get something better. Probably some Cooper CS3 or the CS5.

Anyways, $500 for some Maxis tires? I could see $350 for those tops. $500 will get you into some nice CS5 Ultras. Starting this Monday on DTD you can get the rebates back to you.

Last edited:
whoops sorry about my earlier post. I misidentified them as summer tires when they are in fact all-season, and thank you to SatinSilver for pointing that out to me
cry.gif
33.gif

But, you will still probably not like them since they are still performance tires (and will still give a poor ride)

Well so much for trying........ they put the maxxis tires on they shook like [censored] at highway speed I went back. The rebalanced them said they were out a little . Then proceed to tell me they broke a lug stud of mine. So when they gave the car back it had a broke lug stud and still shakes.....
Should I go somewhere else and buy new tires and just return the old ones? Should I let them keep trying I am kind of at a loss. I thought giving a small tire shop that's been in business for years would be a good thing ....clearly I was wrong again....

Just change them out for some Coopers. You can get a $70 rebate on the CS5 Ultra. Great tire. He said he would do that in the beginning if you didn't like them.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Well they couldn't get anything until Monday so they agreed that if I found another shop that could replace the tires today that if I bring the one I bought from them by they would give me my money back. So I'm waiting for it to be done now. I went with the cooper zeon rs3-a

Very good! Those have a $50 rebate.

http://us.coopertire.com/Offers/Summer-Event.aspx

Please let us know how you like them. I think you'll be very pleased with their performance. Cooper is headquartered in Ohio and many of their tires made in the USA.

I hope they are good. They offered me some of their house brand which is a Mirada sport but I decided hecknwith I'll spend more at this point on decent tires to avoid the headache.

Glad you decided against the house brand. They do come with a free 45 day test drive guarantee from Cooper:

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Performance/ZEON-RS3-A.aspx

Hard to beat that one.

Yea I haven't had coopers in awhile the last set I bought had a issue going on my wheels on my old car. They wouldn't seat correctly they tried 3 sets and I eventually swapped them for another brand. So hopefully this time around I have good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back