Consumer Cellular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your situation for your combined usage, it sounds like CC would be a winner, but make sure you get the AT&T sim card and not the T-mobile sim. Your coverage will be better in most places. Both type of sims will start with 8901, but the next 4 numbers will be 4104 or 4102 for AT&T-based sims. If a T-mobile sim, the second 4 digits will be 2604 or 2609. These are based on my experience with att and t-mobile sims and their mvno's that I have seen. I have never actually seen a CC sim. I think the reason they are pushing T-mobile sims is that their wholesale cost is probably lower on the T-mobile network, meaning higher profit for CC.

On top of a better network using the AT&T sim, you should be able to take your current phones with you onto the CC network.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
In your situation for your combined usage, it sounds like CC would be a winner, but make sure you get the AT&T sim card and not the T-mobile sim. Your coverage will be better in most places. Both type of sims will start with 8901, but the next 4 numbers will be 4104 or 4102 for AT&T-based sims. If a T-mobile sim, the second 4 digits will be 2604 or 2609. These are based on my experience with att and t-mobile sims and their mvno's that I have seen. I have never actually seen a CC sim. I think the reason they are pushing T-mobile sims is that their wholesale cost is probably lower on the T-mobile network, meaning higher profit for CC.

On top of a better network using the AT&T sim, you should be able to take your current phones with you onto the CC network.

Consumer Cellular has their own SIM card. It is a 3-in-1 card covering all three sizes. We shall see.

Also, they recommended I unlock my phone.

I'll keep everyone posted on the switch and how it works out.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Cricket is a winner too- same coverage and about the same $$$

You don't have problems with no signal, etc?

Thanks sir for info

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Cricket is a winner too- same coverage and about the same $$$

You don't have problems with no signal, etc?

Thanks sir for info

Cricket rules, all prices at cricketwireless.com include ALL taxes, fees and surcharges, heck, they dont even charge for 2 day shipping to your home.

Tell me where on this planet can you get 5 lines of unlimited data, talk, text, for $100 a month ACTUAL PAYMENT.
First 4 gigs of data on each line are high speed, if you go over 4 gigs on a line it simply slows up until the next month. You are NEVER charged for going over data, its unlimited.
With autopay, 1 line is $40, 2 lines are $70, 3 lines $90, 4 lines $100 AND YOU CAN ADD A FIFTH LINE FOR FREE. ACTUAL PAYMENT, NOT SOME [censored] ADVERTISED PRICE THAT YOU NEVER SEE ON YOUR BILL.

I got tired of the surcharges, admin fees and taxes with other companies, which are [censored], tired of the threat you may go over some limit and get charged.
There is none of that with cricket, ATT owns them, so you get ATT network, plus NO contract, so you can cancel if you dont like it.

YOU CAN GO BACK FOR DECADES AND WOULD HAVE BEEN NEVER ABLE TO GET PHONE SERVICE AS CHEAP AS CRICKET, PLUS NOW YOU GET TEXT AND DATA, THE INTERNET DIDNT EVEN EXIST THEN.

Last edited:
Good to know sir
smile.gif

Around here, the only two cell companies that have reliable service are verizon and us cellular. All the others have great service around the metros but a few miles out, the service drops to about nothing.

I have verizon prepaid. $54 (tax included) gets me 7gb of data plus rollover, unlimited text/call. No complaints.

Agree, if your in a rural area any carrier ATT or Verizon can be weak if they dont have a tower near you.
Trick is to find the one that works for you.
I have noticed here in SC over the last 10 years of which I travel up to 1000 miles a week that the state is pretty well covered by both carriers now and the gap is narrowed quite a bit but there are still some extreme rural areas that are not well served and depending on that area it can be either ATT or Verizon that will work while the other will not.. I used to think Verizon had the edge in coverage but then I run into areas sometimes where they have none and need to use my ATT/Cricket phone.

I actually carry two phones every day, company provided Verizon and my personal ATT/Cricket.

Last edited:
I can vouch for Cricket value, performance, and coverage. (I was a Verizon-only guy from way back, then moved to Verizon prepaid, and then on to an MVNO called Page Plus Cellular.) We currently have 2 Cricket groups of 5 lines each in our extended family and friends. Each person goes online to pay their $20 share of the bill with a credit or debit card. A few people have need for the 8GB plan and pay $30 each instead of $20. One guy has the unlimited data plan and he pays a flat $40 per month for his line. He has no home internet, so this serves him well and he saves a bunch this way. If you switch over on the right month, like before end of this month, you can get a $50 credit on your bill after your 2nd month of service, along with discounted and free phone options, IF and only IF you bring your non-AT&T phone number to Cricket. When we switched over a year ago, we took advantage of a $100 per line account credit and we had no phone bill for 5 months due to the $500 credit on our account! Each time you refer someone to cricket, you can also get a $25 credit for you and that person. I have gotten a few of those too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back