Question about Medical Marijuana rules

I applaud you LR for not accepting side-effects and bad conventional solutions. My pops has been dealing with the glauc's since I can remember- probably would recognize more than a few of those drops you mentioned. He refuses to try cannabis. The prescribed regime hasn't done him any good, though. The medical procedures haven't either. I'm surprised he can still detect light with the amount of operations on his one eye. First they tried to fix the "vent" for the Ocular Fluid more than a few times. It didn't work for long. Then 3 (three!) corneal transplants later and no such luck, that eye is worse off than it ever was, like said I'm really surprised it can still detect light. But that's my dad, he's very trusting of his doctor, the standard condition, and they sell him on surgery now every time- they started with promises of hope and slowly evolved into what do you have to lose. I hope you're not there yet, and hope you do find a better way to manage the glaucs. Cannabis may not be the answer but the fact that you have questions at least gives you the option for a better outcome.

Mine stems from a cascade of medical fails. Cataract surgery last summer. Detached retina last October, likely related to the cataract surgery's effects. Vitrectomy last November to repair retina. Another eye surgery beginning of February to resolve what was set into motion by the November surgery. Now the eye is locked into elevated IOP, which they keep blaming on the November vitrectomy and February follow-up cutting into the eye a 3rd time, as a "side effect." Keep saying it "should resolve eventually.." mean time it's churn my health insurance with frequent appointments to "check" the pressure and the retina. Don't want to lose vision in that eye but I will let it go before I let it compromise my overall health and vitality by adverse side effects of their concoctions.

Considering getting a consult with an experienced Malpractice Attorney. Doubt I have a case, but might not hurt to find out.

I'm 54. Up until October last year I was athletic and playing pickup basketball, lifting three times a week and boot camp class twice a week. Lot of good quality of life ahead of me still and not going to allow myself to be put on a pharmaceutical hamster wheel with vitality sapping side effects, courtesy of MD's and big pharma.

i think a downside if you can call it that is that it is an expense.
weed still costs money and no insurance is going to cover it. It won't break you, but imagine just like if you had to buy a starbucks everyday or pay comcast for cable. if you're on a fixed income you're going to need to take that into account or find a friend.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
Another thing to be aware of is that some employers drug test, even in states where medical and recreational marijuana are allowed. They don't allow always allow positive tests for medical reasons. You might want to do some in depth homework before you make such a move.

Yes. Be aware of this. A friend of a friend is a CDL truck driver with decades of accident free service. He was legally dispensed medical marijuana for beginning stages of Parkinson's. Failed an employer drug test and lost his CDL. Not really sure why he didn't think ahead on this but dunno all the details.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
On the way home from the eye doctor this afternoon, I was initially feeling down because my left eye is maintaining an elevated intra-ocular pressure (IOP) and may be headed towards a form of induced glaucoma. Maybe. But then I had an Epiphany. Marijuana reduces IOP, given that you dose it about every four to six hours on avg. So I thought hey, I could just move to a Medical Marijuana state and spend my retirement legally stoned !! Just have to find a doc to prescribe it for treatment of the elevated IOP. I'm sure I'm only seeing the rosey side of this. Probable some pitfalls.

You could move to a medically legal or fully legal state.

As a hiring authority with large teams I can tell you most California tech companies don't care if you smoke weed on your time.

Some California tech companies attribute their brilliance to being old hippy stoners and the insiders burn together. (some VERY successful ones)

Inhaling any burning plant matter isn't good for you, but there are degrees of good and bad. Probably best ti eat it, but the effects are quite different.

The thousands of chemical thing doesn't hold water for anyone thats looked at the statistics. Yes there a thousands of chemicals in marijuana, and thousands in your cup of coffee only like 14 which have been tested and 7 of these found to be carcinogenic. You have teflon from your pans in your blood right now.

When I was recovering from cancer surgery I preferred it to anything that had a prescription on it.

UD

Last edited:
Move to CO; there literally is a medical marijuana dispensary every 2 blocks... If that is the route you want to take.

There are many ways to reap the benefits of it other than smoking it - edibles, vaporizer etc.

The quack shop doctors offices abound - you can get a license for a paper cut if you found the right doctor, but I'm sure there are some that specialize in MMJ as an actual medicine. Search around.

Regarding smoking of it. So little of it is now required. The image of people smoking joint after joint is a layover from the days when the potentcy was horrid. With Today's potentcy, one can take half a lungful, and should likely start with that.

I do not like edibles as one is never sure of the dosage, and how long it will take to set in. Smoking, the results are almost immediately apparent.

I've found nothing else which can help my lower back pain as much. Even if I remain seated the pain is halved, but it also allows me to do some stretches and isolate the offending muscle. Often it will allow me to get the crik, to crack, and allow me to function normally without pain or fear a weird movement will have that invisible knife be inserted and twisted into my lower back above iliac crest. Without MJ, the crick remains 9 times out of 10 even using the same exact stretches.

From someone I know who lives in CA: "...order some cannabis CDB that's from a strain cultivated especially for glaucoma from one of the online reputable hemp companies. CBD is the medicinal component of pot and doesn't get you high."

Question is will this compound show in random drug test (urine) as THC?

From someone I know who lives in CA: "...order some cannabis CDB that's from a strain cultivated especially for glaucoma from one of the online reputable hemp companies. CBD is the medicinal component of pot and doesn't get you high."

Question is will this compound show in random drug test (urine) as THC?

Id bet the answer is yes.

UD

you can also bring the question up with your eye doctor. they arent out to narc on you they only care about your health and well being.

Well I brought the question up with my eye doctor about the drug interaction between the dorzolamine and aspirin published here:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/...3197-931-0.html

Response from the nurse (on phone) was "...also, Dr ________ doesn't think there's any reaction between aspirin and the drops..."

Note that drugs.com link has it in red as a "Major" reaction...

Well I brought the question up with my eye doctor about the drug interaction between the dorzolamine and aspirin published here:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/...3197-931-0.html

Response from the nurse (on phone) was "...also, Dr ________ doesn't think there's any reaction between aspirin and the drops..."

Note that drugs.com link has it in red as a "Major" reaction...

Then, IMO it's time for a new doc! Or at least a second opinion.

Doctors are people, and because of that, NOT infallible. My better half had a new doc mess with her thyroid prescription (old one retired) and because of it, her heart went bonkers and she felt as though she couldn't breath well. Thought for sure she was having a heart attack! Stayed the night in the hospital, got things sorted out- found she was in fact completely healthy and NEVER went back to the new guy. Personally (no I don't have a med background) her doc was a COMPLETE idiot for radically altering her thyroid meds when apparently only a minor tweak was needed.

In your case, when a drug fact type website states what it did about the interactions between the drugs in your case, I think that should at least warrant a minimum of a cursory review by your eye doc of your specific condition.

All that being said, I feel that in your case (and my wife's) some responsibility lies on your shoulders. It's your body that you're putting drugs into- they typically come with paperwork about interactions with other drugs. Had EVERYONE done their jobs- you, eye doc and even the pharmacist (they will often warn of potential interactions, or ask if you have questions- you could have asked what you shouldn't do or take with them) this wouldn't have happened. In my wife's case, she should have known better than to allow such a radical change of her thyroid meds in such a short amount time. But still it happened because we trust our doctors- after all they are the ones who spent countless thousands of dollars and years in higher education to learn the RIGHT way to do things, right?

Using marijuana doesn't make you an addictive person, what Miss Universe Catriona Gray answered in her Q&A question "I'm for being used in medical use but not so for recreational use. Because I think if people were to argue, 'what about alcohol and cigarettes?' So everything is good but in moderation." Some people used marijuana for medical purposes, as one of the users i found this https://www.worldwide-marijuana-seeds.com/products/bruce-banner and i think it is one of the best MJ that can help us when it comes to the medical aspects.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Well just rain all over my parade then why don't you, LoL? Here I thought I'd found the key to a stress free retirement and lower my IOP all in one !! Whole post was a little tongue-in-cheek.
smile.gif

But hey I doubt weed has all the interactions of this horrific "traditional med" eye drop they gave me yesterday:

Dorzolamide / Timolol ... Common brands: Cosopt

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/dorzolamide-ophthalmic.html

And the Really Fun News is... I had a drug interaction with using it the first time lastnight !!!! Who would have thunk this ... as an eye drop... would interact with good ole Aspirin in a severe way? Yep. Just check the serious interactions list. I take two aspirin in the morning because it takes the edge off the lingering pain in my shoulder and ankle from the motorcycle accident four months ago. I even pinched my nose bridge for a two minutes like you're supposed to to prevent the eye drop from traveling down the tear duct into sinus and throat and yield systemic side effects.

I experienced the listed side effect of ringing in ears and shortness of breath (and I am in good physical condition, athletic, albeit the wreck has had me out of gym up until two weeks ago I started back).

I will ask them if they can give me some Lumigan instead. All that does for side effects is permanently turn your iris black along with edges of your eye lids near eyeball and cause eye lashes to over grow.

Yeah, bring on those traditional meds !!

You could stop taking the aspirin for pain, and the eye drops without smoking the stuff, and without getting high!

You could also probably get by with a once a day dose if you used the proper method of extraction of the CBD's, and ingest it properly. It's pretty sad that this subject is kept in the dark and not openly discussed. Soon, big Pharma will exploit this hidden beneficial medicine. Yes, I did just refer to it as a medicine, and I know a lot of you are thinking, lol...yea right!

Big Pharma is working on this right now, it has been used in Israel in elderly assisted hospice type living facilities. Our government is more concerned at this point in collecting tax revenues from this "Drug", Now I called it a drug! Cause the way it is promoted is intoxicating. Smoking it, eating edibles that have been cooked have activated the THC which is the psychoactive part of the "Drug". I see no benefit of smoking, or eating activated cannabis. Its senseless, your completely missing what has happened to the chemical component's. If you want to get high, go ahead and smoke it, or eat edible's, but your never going to reap the benefits of CBD's. When its done properly, your not going to get high! Then it will truly become a Medicine...If you want to know how its done, just ask, I can tell you. Its not a secret.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by SumpChump
Here we go with the ..."Marijuana cures everything but the MAN keeps us down". ... Amazing how baaaad cigarette smoke is and everyone agrees with the science yet. Marijuana somehow contains everything a growing body needs and zero bad chemicals in the smoke. Its practically kale. ...

Reading in CR that modern medical (mal)practice and prescribed drugs are the cause more death in the U.S. than just about anything.

Me. I don't like being stoned, rather have a mild beer buzz - if I need a buzz.

LR - sorry about your eye issues, must be a bit scary. I have to get to the Doc about my BP that run up to 180/140 too regularly. I don't like my new Doc but I don't want my wife having to care for a stroked out old man. I'm sure she'd put a bag over my head and end it after a couple weeks ....
smile.gif

ARCO, please, go back to your doctor, get some blood pressure meds, then change doctors till you find a doctor you like. I hope your lower # is not 140, as in 180/ over 140! Your in serious danger of enlarging your heart which is irreversible. Will cause many other heath complications later in life. Even 180 as a high # is getting very very dangerous. NO more alcohol, good luck, wish the best for you!

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16988594

This study in 2006 found sublingual (under-the-tongue lozenge?) THC to be effective in reducing eye pressure (IOP) but not CDB.

THC sure as heck be found on a urine test, valid medical use or not...

The method I previously posted above can be used sublingual, or in the extremely strong dosages I was taking, I took 1/2 oz to 1 oz shots. I did not evaporate much of the alcohol off of the extraction. Evaporate more of the alcohol used for extraction, and it can even be put into an oil, like olive oil and under your tongue.

As I had stated, there is still THC, but it is inactive. If you smoke or heat, cook as for edibles, you have pretty much completely destroyed the CBD's, that's why I keep crossing over between calling it a medicine vs a "Drug". THC psychoactive= Drug

Back