What makes dexos 'better' than SN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not familiar with the standard beyond knowing it's a GM thing and 10w-30 isn't included.

Would there be any benefit to switching to a dexos oil in a 3.0L duratec circa 2010? I'm currently running M1 HM 10w-30

There is one area of performance you'd improve though. I remember your M1 HM 10w30 has an excessively high HTHS for your application. It won't hurt to keep using the 10w30 you have, yet you can get about 1% better power and MPG if you go with a dexos1 5w30 with a more suitable lower HTHS for your duratec.

Dexos 1 spec has more stringent criteria than SN. The M1 most likely EXCEEDS all the dexos 1 requirements except for fuel economy, as it meets A3/B3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Dexos 1 spec has more stringent criteria than SN. The M1 most likely EXCEEDS all the dexos 1 requirements except for fuel economy, as it meets A3/B3.

And that's why I use that oil. The A3/B3 is a stringent requirement and few widely available oils meet it. They were updated in 2016 and as of 2/17 Mobil is claiming to meet the standards. Here's a visual comparison. Keep in mind, these are the minimum, relative performance standards for each specification.

This is the current A3/B3 standards against Dexos 2. They are very similar:

This is against Dexos 1:

If you have the same brand, same base oil but one of the oil is 5w30 and meets Dexos 1 and the other is 10w30 so it can't meet Dexos 1
due to having a 10W would the additives package be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back